DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 14:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My DIY Interconnect !!
PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 08:33 

Hi,

Hi Guys Am sorry for not being active ! Was busy with so many things and had some personal problems which kept me away ! Anyways This is my latest DIY effort and I wish to share it with you guys here!

This IC project was started sometime back and due to various reasons was never able to finish it ( the latest issue being the RCA's)!

Some details of the cable, I've used 18Gauge OFC with 5Micron's pure Silver coating,the outer layer is Teflon (obvious choice ). I have used 6 wires per IC and have braided them in my own tried and tested method! The length of the cable is 1 Meter.

I have also used the Braided Shielding to cover the braided wires and avoid any possible external interface.

Above this I've used a Heat Shrink tube to sort of suck out all the air and make it Vacuum ( although its very very effective but may not 100% Vacuum).

Next is my customary Nylon Braid for dust proofing and other purposes besides making the cable look Very good ;) !

After finishing just connected it and heard it for a while before posting the thread here and the initial reactions are as follows (although its strictly speaking it should have some Run-in to get a actual feel but still )

I played 5 tracks in total and this is what I think,

When I played the Allan Taylor's "Old Friends and New Roads" CD's 4 track ,the Guitar was very very natural compared to before,the background had now increased to considarable amount !

Next was Livingstone Taylors "INK" ,The first track where the songs starts with he whistling,There was ample Air in the sound and was much more fluid compared to before,again the whole soundstage was much wider and was almost immersed into it !

Same CD track 4,The shakers that opens the song felt more real then before and had more life to it !

Same were the story with the next two tracks ! All in all Am so very happy with outcome and cannot wait to compare it with some branded ones to see how it fares !

About the previous IC, It was OEM make,The same company makes cables virtually for most of the Biggies from the Industry and is called Choseal !

The Above observations were made with the following Setup !

1)Amplifier : NAD 906 (Power-Amp)
2)Pre-Amplifier : Home Brewed 12AU7 Tube Based
3)CD Player : Marantz CD63 MKII
4) Inter-connects : From CDP to Pre ( this new one )
5) Speakers : My DIY Towers
6) Speaker Cables : The Anaconda's

Important Note : This project and the subsequent results are my own perception and I have written what I felt like,If anyone or someone doesn't agree with the views then please express it in a proper fashion !

Below are the pics of the cable in different stages !

Continued.................

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 08:34 

Pics Continued......

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 08:36 

Pics Continued......

Ok If I've left any info or pics or whatever please don't hesitate to ask also do not hesitate to give feedback and comments ! flood this thread with those :ohyeah: !!

Regards.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 18:56 
Editor

Good to see you back! The finished cables look great! :up: I'm glad to hear you are getting good results from the cables.

About the braided shielding, is it connected at all? It might be interesting to connect it at only one end so it acts as a drain.

If you get a chance, post some details about your 12AU7 preamp.
Cheers,
Gio

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 00:46 

Hi,

Gio its good to be back ;) !!

Quote:
About the braided shielding, is it connected at all? It might be interesting to connect it at only one end so it acts as a drain.

Currently no,but very interesting suggestion ! shall try them in my next one as Am building another pair for the setup !

Bout the 12AU7 pre, its still in the R&D zone,Am testing it with various tubes and with different capacitors and such ! as you might know here in India its not that easy to go buy a tube of your choice or buy a Blackgate cap in the market ! you'll be surprised to know that most people in the electronic market here have not even heard of the name Blackgate in their life nor do they know that it exists :shock: !

So you can imagine the kind of difficulty that I have to go through to get some decent quality components !

But once all is done I surely will post !

Regards.

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 02:09 
Banned

I read a survey somewhere where they did a "blind" comparison test on speaker wires.
Esoteric wires and switched in common "coathanger" wire.
Seems the listeners chose the coathanger wire as the "better sounding" one... go figure.
It's all in your mind. :D

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 09:28 
Editor

Hi MagMod, that "experiment" originated from a forum post and hit several the major technology / gadget blogs about 1 year ago. In the end it turned out to be nothing more than a fabricated story to bad mouth Monster cable (not Esoteric). Very few of the blogs that carried the story actually posted a correction.

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 09:34 

Hi,
Mag Thanks for your comments ! last time in my speaker cable thread we had the same discussion with Riguy,I have posted there my views so won't do it here aswell !!

All I can say is "TO EACH HIS OWN"

Thanks Gio for clarifying this !! greatly appreciated ;) !

Regards.

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 09:40 
Editor

Quote:
soundsgreat wrote:
Currently no,but very interesting suggestion ! shall try them in my next one as Am building another pair for the setup !

I have tried the idea myself with a DIY Belden 83803 Mains Power Cable and it seems like a good idea if you are in a noisy environment.

Mark has used the same idea with his DIY Silver RCA Interconnect Cables, but with a single drain rather than a braided shield.

I have tried RCA cables the single drain wire idea, but I never did an A/B test vs the same cable and no drain.
Cheers

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 00:35 

Hi,

Gio thanks again for the links !

Like I said will surely try in my next cable ! will then do A/B with this cable to see how it sounds in comparison with this ;) !

One more thing that folks in the Audiocircle have suggested is to check the cable just after the braid and with no other/additional thing ! what they say is,the bare braid itself will take care all the external interfaces and one doesn't need to use the Metal braid,Shrink tube etc ! Infact what say is,these things will colour the sound or may hamper/reduce the sound quality !

So whats your take on this Gio ??

Regards.