DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 20:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2015, 20:24 

Hello everyone,

I am following this project here : http://diyaudioprojects.com/Chip/Nanoo/ , and I am confused with the external supply link to the amp. From what is written there, it seems he is using a RS232 connector, but how can he manage 35v through this cable?

Maybe i'm getting this wrong :confused:

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2016, 01:17 

I have seen RS-232 plugs and cable being used as power connectors many times. The amp you are looking at actually needs 3 connections between it and the pwr supply. (35v+, gnd, 35v-). RS-232 has 9 wires so use 3 for each feed. They often come with factory finished end so maybe they are thought to look more professional or something. They do provide a goof proof way to make a power connection which is safe and secure providing you have the fingers of a 3 yr old child to screw the plug to socket using those teensy 4-40 screws. Most cable jackets are rated for 150 to 300volts as standard so 70v is well within that parameter. The other, more important thing about wire is it's size/diameter/gauge. ((This is determined by the amperage your audio amp will be drawing from the power supply.)) Most RS232 cables used 26awg wire which is rated for current draws of up to 2.2 amps. Combining 3 of these wires would be more than enough current carrying capability for this amp in it's wattage rating. Also the RS-232 plug itself is rated i believe 10amps. And thanks to the popularity of USB as a comp interface standard,, surplus, molded end type RS-232 cables are showing up more in junk/2nd-hand stores/garage sales for pocket change. Now days you can buy groceries, clothing, furniture, medicine, in the same store with enough change for one $4.95 RS-232 cable new. eh

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2016, 02:12 

laurie54 wrote:
Now days you can buy groceries, clothing, furniture, medicine, in the same store with enough change for one $4.95 RS-232 cable new. eh

Unless of corse, you shop at London Drugs, where those idiots still want $40 for one of 3' length :hot: ;)

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 03:27 

Ya no kidding. Sad, just sad, it is. Speaking of which, i went into battery's place nothing but batteries. The best batteries in the city. Located on Broadway. They wanted 85.oo for clock backup one, and 120.oo for main backup. 1 and 3 coin cell packs. I almost threw-up. Went to Lee's on Main St., they cost me together with tax $4.96. W T H.
Geek you wouldn't know who bought, then stored a "garage full" of VT's when (main surplus) also known as (satellite electric) shut it's doors do you? I bought 5R4, 5U4, 6as7 etc etc for $0.50 ea when he was open. Boxes of army surplus everything electronic whatcha madoodles pilled to the ceiling on all 4 walls. Then gone.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 04:38 

Funny, some of my customers asked me similar within the past couple weeks? Wasn't me, but I wonder if Albert at Space-Tech would know?

I'm the dude that cleaned out James Fraser in Abbotsford, though :D

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 23:41 

Good for you. I'm glad to see someone who will use them get them. I had a phone # for the person who bought the lot but after phoning and getting a very, hmmmmmmmm, lets say grumpy person who was not willing to even chat i left the subject. That was yrs ago.