DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 16:08

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 08:36 

I have a 3 piece PC speaker set that currently has no volume control. What I would like to do if possible is build a cable that runs between the PC and the Amp that has an inline knob and headphone jack. I want to be able to plug in headphones and have it automatically cut signal to the amp and still use the volume knob for the headphones. I have no problem soldering electronics of fabricating boxes, I just don't know what parts would be best for this.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2016, 12:09 

Look for an L-pad attenuator. They may be wired in-line from an amp to a speaker, you would want one of only a few watts capacity for what you have in mind. A few bucks for the pot and the parts and jacks, you should be there.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 19:21 

My PC stereo has just what you are looking for as part of it's system. One sub-bass, 2 satalite spkrs and a small box with headphone jack, volume control, and on/ off for the system's power. Which doesn't need to be on if one is using the headphone jack. The output from comps is enough to drive most headphones. (many are in the 32-ohm range). You will need a 3.5mm stereo plug and wire. Easiest to buy pre-made cable with molded plugs already on the ends then cut it.
So:
1- cable and plug for signal from the comp.

2- Volume control. Since the output of the comp is solid state I would use a10K-ohms to 25K-ohms./ dual-gang / audio/log/A taper pot. The choices of what kind of pot (potentiometer) rotary--slide / linear-slide / multy- position-rotary switch is up to you. There are many threads on each of these types and all can be excellent if quality made.

3- You will need a 3.5mm female jack. This jack needs to be the ""two-switch"" type. This type allows you to have the spkr system connected when no headphones are plugged in. When you do plug phones in, the spkrs are cut off and the signal goes to the headphones. And bonus they both are controlled (volume wise that is) by the one volume control.
This is 1 of many available from places like Digi-Key, Mouser, Allied, Newark, probly even RS.
Like this one. Click on Datasheets and you will see the different sw;s that are available. http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en ... -ND/659934

4- A cabinet or box. Hammond, Pactec, Serpac, metal, plastic, or wood / home made. There is a wonderful project in this sight showing the build of an inline volume control / input selector unit
It is that easy
Have a look at this sight and you will be a kid in a candy store. http://sound.whsites.net/projects.htm