DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 15:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 21:56 

Hello, I am starting a business and want to be able to record all of my phone calls (I am letting the callers know they are being recorded). I did a little research and found some products that are RJ11 to 1/8" jack and after looking at them it looks like its just a straight series connection I also found a schematic with caps in series with both the tip and ring of the phone line. So I tried to build one, I put a 22pF cap in series with both lines and plugged it into an old sound card ( I wasn't sure if the phone ringing would kill the card and it didn't) which worked. I now have it pluged into the mic of my main sound card and tried a few trial calls to and from my cellphone. I get a lot of feedback, outgoing voice can be faintly heard but the incoming is almost no-existent. Is there a way for me to get rid of the feedback and clean up the audio? Should I increas the value of the caps, or is the signal maybe too strong? Should I add a resistor in series to limit the current?

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 15:45 

I should correct, I'm getting distortion not feedback.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 19:13 
Project Author

wunderbred wrote:
Hello, I am starting a business and want to be able to record all of my phone calls (I am letting the callers know they are being recorded). I did a little research and found some products that are RJ11 to 1/8" jack and after looking at them it looks like its just a straight series connection I also found a schematic with caps in series with both the tip and ring of the phone line. So I tried to build one, I put a 22pF cap in series with both lines and plugged it into an old sound card ( I wasn't sure if the phone ringing would kill the card and it didn't) which worked. I now have it pluged into the mic of my main sound card and tried a few trial calls to and from my cellphone. I get a lot of feedback, outgoing voice can be faintly heard but the incoming is almost no-existent. Is there a way for me to get rid of the feedback and clean up the audio? Should I increas the value of the caps, or is the signal maybe too strong? Should I add a resistor in series to limit the current?

Never heard of doing any of this but I think the cap should be 0.1uf.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 20:22 

Thanks I will try this out, I had never heard of it before either, I thought I had to get an inline recorder but found this method.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 22:16 

I found a better schematic I made some minor changes, it uses a 1:1 transformer, mine is 150ohms. I have a .1uF cap in series with the tip from the phone and a 670ohm resistor in series with the ring of the phone, into the transformer, then 2 1n4001 diodes the 2nd diode is reversed from the first across the output. 0 distortion.

here is a lkink to the site, do a search for "Other transformer isolated interfaces"
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/teleinterface.html

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2014, 12:12 

ASCII art! :D

Epanorama must have scraped the content from Usenet ;)

Work: Classic Valve Design