DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 08:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 17:48 
Project Author

Good morning Audio Land - well its morning here and now.

I could only find a couple of references to Cat5 cables on the forum and not completely related to speakers cables. I know most will have heard of using braded triplets of whole Cat5 cable for speaker cables but has it been discussed fully on this forum.

I have two close audiophile DIY friends who claim their triple braded Cat5e audio cables are the best speaker cables they have tried. Also one customer to my electronics store (where I work) who also claims the sonic qualities achieved by using the cable config are huge!

Generally three lots of whole Cat5e cable is platted or braded to produce a single conductor (so two lots for each box are required). Some claim they remove the outer plastic cover most say not to.

Comments Ladies and Gentlemen??

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 19:47 

Hi,

You might also want to check out diyAudio.com, as it's been covered to a beaten-dead-horse there.

As for sonic qualities, do your own listening tests, as that goes more into the "personal taste and metaphysic properties" of cables ;)

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 22:14 
Project Author

Sure and thanks for the tip.

I was interested what these forumers had to say??

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 23:06 

Heard all types of wire used as speaker cable... it all sounds the same to me *shrug*

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 20:27 
Editor

Hi Mark, Two other fellows and I tired a diy pair of cat 5 speakers cables as part of a little cable shootout. In the end we all agreed that while there were some subjective subtle changes (both good and bad) the enormous amount of time required to put together a pair of diy cat 5 cables was not worth the end result.

Another thing to be aware of is that for moderate to long cables runs the capacitance of the cat 5 cables gets very very large and could prove to cause stability problems for some amps (particularly minimalist diy builds), so keep that in mind.

I'm sure if you ask around the MAC someone will have built a pair you could try out before you take the time to build a set.
Cheers

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2010, 00:14 
Project Author

Ta!

Just spent the afternoon wiring up a guys surround sound and Blue Ray player. Couldn't get the sound through the HDMI cable via the amp. Got the rest to work though. Some setting on the big Onkyo amp or the Sony Blue Ray player I just didn't have it right?? Bugger!

He had some beautiful Quad speakers though. Left and right and center.
http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/downloads/litebroch.pdf

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 13:29 

Hi,

Call it subjective call what you want and will but this is what I say on CAT5E as speaker cable !

They are not suitable :down: !!

I've done some cables long time back and tested with various Amps and such (used it without the outer sleeve and in my own custom braiding pattern) ! Its ok for some mid level setup's especially with Bookshelf's ! The thing about them that I discovered was,The highs and mids are good to ok but the lows are what they seriously eat and lack !! the bass will be almost 20-30% less compared to other types of wires !

This is what I found out on various setups that I tried this cable on ! The reasons that I conclude for that is,

First off as Gio says high capacitance,most systems cannot take them and will oscillate uncontrollably and will eventually die :sick: !!

Second the solid conductors used in the said cable will create whats known as figure of eight problem as there are about 8 single stand wires !!

Next they being too thin ( Small Gauge) they are unable to handle the large currents of most modern Amps some of which runs into several Amps ( upto 40+Amps) !

There are several other factors according to me but hope this will suffice for now !

Regards.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 15:27 
Project Author

As I said I have had a few friends rave about them. For me just multiple runs of quality copper speaker wire. Thanks for the input. I think I will stay with what I have.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 04:10 

Hi,
Quote:
As I said I have had a few friends rave about them. Thanks for the input. I think I will stay with what I have.

Well I too have read many such projects on the net and was very curious to see it myself,hence did and now I know first hand what it really is all about !!
Quote:
For me just multiple runs of quality copper speaker wire.

That's exactly what I've in the other speaker cable project with very very satisfying results,have done some custom braiding though !! not used just some speaker cable in multiples !!

Have compared it with many a branded cables and can tell that my DIY sounds way way better then those $$$ branded cables.

Regards.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 18:55 
Project Author

I have a friend who has been pushing me for years to use Cat5e for speaker cable. I was asked to give a demo of digital music direct from laptop and DAC at an audio club (120 members in a large hall). For this demo I made up 2 X 4M Cat6e speaker cables. For the last 6" I separated the pairs and mates (colours and whites) and twisted them hard together. Heat shrink tube to hold the ends together and an additional heat shrink at the end of the outer plastic. I silver soldered the bare end. I thought they sound good.

On hearing them on the night of the demo. a club member asked me to make-up 2 X 14M and 1 X 7M Cat6e speakers cables using the same method as above. I took them to his place and installed them in his system. I also took (Paris) my 2W 6EM7 integrated tube amp and drove his ProAc towres with the amp/ speaker lead combos. The overall sound was extremely good and extremely solid right across the frequency spectrum. Now I need to make up and pair for myself.