DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 00:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 11:30 

I live in an apartment and i hearing "popping" sounds whenever i turn an appliance on or off. After some research, i found a simple DIY line filter that might help:

http://www.hagtech.com/pdf/conditioner.pdf

Two easy questions:
Q1: I checked mouser for the line filter, but they don't carry the same brand or model anymore. Would this be a suitable replacement:

Schaffner FN343-10-05
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sch ... IU239lY%3d

Q2: Any suggestions how i could improve this design (e.g. slow blow fuse)? I've seen this type of design on several other forums, but none here. This worries me that this is not a safe/recommended method.

Thanks,
Mike

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 16:52 

I've built similar, but there definite safety issues in the design you're looking at.

There is a power entry filter rated at 10A, which feeds two more filters rated at 10A. The entry module needs to be at least as big as the breaker on the AC line ie 15A. It should also be fused or have a circuit breaker
The two other filters should be 15A as well. Schaffner makes them up to 20A I think.
You cannot make the assumption that the two 10A will share the load and never exceed their rating.
That power switch also needs to be big enough to handle full load.
Quite frankly you could eliminate the entry filter and use a power cord or IEC connector.

After all that it may not solve your problem.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 17:26 
Project Author

I would drop the initial filter. Fusing the line at the input and earthing the enclosure is critical. I use filters in all my power amps. These are generally under the chassis and mine are plastic cased. But as stated above this may not fix your initial problem.

What I have found since including a power filter in each power amp is a quieter and far better sound amp. Even the cheap ones I use appear to improve the sound.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 20:48 

Blackdog,

I guess you can't always trust a guide to be correct. I just found a different forum where Hagerman, the author of the guide, suggested using larger amperage filters (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=115814.0). Makes sense though.

These are two brand filters that i am considering (both 20A):
F1299AA20 (http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch ... =F1299AA20)
Schaffner FN2010-20-08 (http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sch ... OsxI9Eg%3d)

mwhouston,

As blackdog and you suggested, i will eliminate the entry filter from the design and see how it performs. I am an no EE, but my engineering background was telling me that this "extra" filter may not have been necessary (maybe someone can explain to me why this filter was there in the first place?).

Anyways, i'm not expecting this to be cure-all, but it's a cheap and effective way of eliminating some dirty power (before i decide to splurge on a $400+ line conditioner).

Thanks,

Mike

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 22:01 
Project Author

Hi, I take a two phase approach. I use a Triplet power line / voltage adjusting main unit on my stereo and each component has a built in IEC combination line filter/fuse. I get no noise through the power lines with this arrangement.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 22:20 
Project Author

Have your house earth stake checked. If the soil is dry around the stake the earth can be poor or even dangerous. Or put the garden hose just drizzling on the stake for a day or two.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 04:57 

Mwhouston,

Good suggestion. However, I should mention that I live in the 5th floor of an apartment complex. Not sure effective that would be (although it certainly would be an entertaining conversation to have with my landlord). There are still 5 floors above me as well.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 05:56 
Project Author

They still have to have an earth stake. Look around. A woman I have sold three pieces of gear to lives in commission housing. Anything which is plugged into the power pont gives you shocks if you touch any metal part of it. I hate going there and plugging in or re-arranging her gear. I think she suffers from the same problem.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 07:56 

Quote:
These are two brand filters that i am considering (both 20A

I've never seen the Curtis. But either will be fine. I did notice that the Curtis uses quick connect and the Schaffner uses studs. It makes no difference other than how you want to put them together.

As has been suggested you could replace the IEC connectors in your equipment with individual filters.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 08:56 
Project Author

Hi, A benefit that is not obvious when you put IEC filters on everything is that all the metal surfaces of the gear are at the some potential and act as one unified shield for the stuff inside. It also means if one piece has an internal failure there will be no shock hazard if you touch two separate pieces of gear at the same time. Now if you AC mains are all screwed up all bets are off. Time to get an electrician, lawyer or undertaker as appropriate :down:

Good listening
Bruce