DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 05:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mains Power Cord
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 00:01 
Project Author

Gio wrote:
Good discussion. ;)

In the main(s) it is.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 17:32 

I don´t see in any way, how can a simple power cord improve a power amplifier´s sound.

If people are concerned with this, then they must have in mind what´s behind the wall´s power socket up to the nearest sub-station power transformer like:

- wire lenght
- wire arrangement
- mains noise level
- copper quality
- transformer efficience

And maybe ground caracteristics?

Any good PSU supplied with correct conductor section will bypass all these aspects...

Just my :2c:

Cheers,

Miguel

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 18:23 
Project Author

Maybe it is more about the standard power cords we often use are poor compared to a better made one. That could be the difference.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 09:17 

|Well this has turned into a good debate! I'm building my first amp at the moment and decided to make my own power cable. To be honest it's as much about aesthetics as anything else. I got some high quality shielded mains cable from work. I'll fit a normal 3 pin plug (I'm in the UK) and fit a good quality IEC connector on the equipment end.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2016, 03:09 

I played around with this in the 70's,

Yes I also heard a difference with a change in power cable and it drove me nuts. So I tried many different things.
I tried power filters and found that some had an effect and others didn't. I found that how the Earth was run in the mains lead also seemed to make a difference how the live and return was physically constructed and also the type of metal used in the conductor and if it was plaited or not.

If you think about comments like sag then silver plated cables could have lower resistance and the cross section could be made less important.
I made a few different types and tested them on friends all covered with nylon braid so they looked the same and every person picked the same cables in the same list best to worse. I also looked at reversing the connections on the primary of the power transformer because the winding has a start and an end and could the position of the neutral have an effect if the outside of the winding is closer to earth etc.
I tried super clamps and DC filters that have an effect on toroids. It will drive you nuts best of luck.. :D :bawling: :(

Then the thought well what about earth currents created by filters and X and Y caps. Then the signal connections between components and the return wires of connects :cold: :confused:

Then the one end connected ideas where the Earth becomes the return cable, its all great fun. However safety MUST be the first constraint and ADS of supply and fuse operation.

Then of course this makes you think about chokes and start and finish of the winding input and output of the supply coupling to other components, sorry I tend to get distracted. In the UK there is high integrity earthing because of computers and earth currents and so it goes on. Power cables in the grid system are big Aerials RFI is nothing compared to the harmonic impact of DC drives I have seen mains sine that looked like a sharks fin. Your HIFI is connected to induction furnaces conveyor drives and lightning. Nothing new then I guess. My HIFI sounds better at different times of the day could it be the shifts at the local factory LOL. My toroid power Tx buzzes at 10.00 every day and then it goes away. :cold: Y caps anyone?

Anyway best of luck LOL
NB just for interest in the 80's I remember a big argument with audiophiles about figure of 8 mains plugs and if they turned them over the sound changed, well lets not go into that one LOL.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M. Gregg on 16 Apr 2016, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2016, 03:50 
Project Author

Try a DC blocker it usually quietens buzzy toriods.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2016, 04:07 

mwhouston wrote:
Try a DC blocker it usually quietens buzzy toriods.

Hi it was just an example of what people say my mains toroid doesn't buzz but many do :D
Similar to many people don't fit inrush suppressors to toroids and weld the mains switch, I did it to a keynector mains test connector by a accident and the lighting dipped in the lab and the keynector was scrap. These things happen when your under pressure..LOL
Keynector:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mains-tes ... s/0458926/

Regards
M. Gregg