DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 13:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2012, 10:17 

hi all. some of you MAY just remember a post quite a while ago when i was making my first rca interconnects. and many of those who commented really helped me understand how to make them.
the situation is. i got into a debate with my tutor in college to why thinner cables are better than ones with thicker cores. i read a while ago that the thicker the cable the more the bass but then the high-end treble suffers as a result. can somebody explain that to me because i cant remember the page i saw it on. on that same page i saw a cross sectional kind of diagram explaining why treble and vocals suffer in thicker rca cables.
despite flexibility, can anyone explain to me why thinner interconnects are better than thicker - core ones.
i would be greatfull if anyone could help me out and even give that diagram if anyone could find it for me online.

would be looking forward to reading all your reply
thanks !!

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2012, 17:25 
Project Author

It takes a leap of faith but it's backed by science, that even at audio frequencies , skin effect is present. Lower frequencies move down a conductor more in the center than the higher frequencies which tend towards the outer of the conductor. In a fat conductor there is a larger time difference when the the two parts reach the destination. In a conductor of zero thickness both the faster outer frequencies and slower low frequencies would reach the destination at the same time. We don't have conductors of zero thickness but we can produce very thin wire.

I make most of my inter-connects from wire wrap wire which is very fine copper with a silver plating. The higher frequencies travel through the silver and the time slurring between low and high frequencies is low (due to the small diameter of the conductor - 30AWG). Also most of my wire wrap cables are just lose wire, no shield on $2 RCA plugs.

Then there is the dialectic or insulation. All dielectrics and insulation has memory. When an electric field is generated in the conductor (when a signal is passed down the conductor) the insulation material is stressed and energy is stored in the insulation. As the field collapses (thousands of times a second) the insulation relaxes and releases its energy back into the conductor. If this happens very fast then little signal degradation occurs. Teflon is meant to be a low memory insulator.

Then there is the RCA connectors or speaker banana plugs. Any connector with high mass will exhibit skin effect characteristics. The best RCA plugs are the $2 thin tinny types not the $300/pair 3kg pure silver ones. Too much mass, too many places for eddy currents to develop and all sorts of time slurring to occur.

If you are interested I will guide you in making some wire wrap inter-connects. Compare them to your best commercial leads and see which sound better.

Do you have faith?

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2012, 17:57 

yes i definitely have faith mate. just once question. i may want to plug them into my tv running down to my amp so there is a big chance of a lot of interference. will your cable design fair well against rf/rfi interference ?
and how will your cable design fair against some cables i made with instrument cable (3.5mm-3.5mm mimis) ?
i would really be interested in your guide to making your cables.. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2012, 19:26 
Project Author

A lot of my cables are short. Where they are longer I heavily twist the wire wrap wire and add small chokes to the end. This appears to work well. But if your environment is extremely noisy then shielding is required. But I haven't seen it yet.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 13:41 

im still interested. if anything the shielding with be good for noisy environments and make the overall cable slightly thicker and easier to handle for me.
do you have a tutorial for your cable design ?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 17:51 
Project Author

zuhayr94 wrote:
im still interested. if anything the shielding with be good for noisy environments and make the overall cable slightly thicker and easier to handle for me.
do you have a tutorial for your cable design ?

Well thick cables are bad cables (IMHO). I don't have a guide but I can instruct you how to make one but my skinny unshielded cables. http://diyaudioprojects.blogspot.com/2010/11/supercables-cookbook-review-12.html

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 21:43 

Allen Wright did some research on this in his book. But it's not available for download, at least I can find.

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 13:53 

thanks a bunch mwhouston. i will definitely check it out.
one more question that has been bothering me. what is the difference between mono and stereo rca interconnects ? i honestly say that i should already know this stuff having made a few cables but i still dont know the difference (foolishly). could someone explain it to me ??? > :confused:

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 18:22 
Project Author

I always make two separate cables so I'm not sure there is a difference.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013, 07:48 

i may want to plug them into my tv running down to my amp so there is a big chance of a lot of interference. will your cable design fair well against rf/rfi interference ?