DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 19:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2011, 18:52 
Banned

Gio wrote:
Everything silver and silver plated I have ever owned has always tarnished

Hi.

Yes, Ag when exposed to the air will be tarnished by sulphur (oxides) gases inside the air. Sooner or later depends how pulluted is the city airs (lots of taffics will produce tons of S02 gases).

Even sterling silvers (low purity silvers) used to made rings & ornaments tarnish, let alone high purity silvers. Pure silver should be kept away from air to prevent tarnishing.

That's the basic reason why I have to have pure silver wires stored in air-tight flexible tubing of Teflon (again for Teflon's low dielectric loss & high wave propagation velocity).

With Teflon tubing inserted inside a heat shrink tubing (600V UL/CSA), the doube walled protective cover should give enough airtightness to the whole run of cable.

All we have to focus on is how to terminate the cable ends to the end plugs so an effective airtight termination can be made permanently.

Hint:- Silver solder to cover the entire joint so that the silver wire be 100% buried inside the solder.
Extra very short lengths of heat shrink tubings, overlapping each other, to seal up the Teflon/heat shrink tubing ends onto the connector innart with hot air gun. You'll be surprised how effective such overlapping heat shrink covers will be in airtighting the termination.

It is thinking plus handcraft.

c-J

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2011, 04:21 

Hi c-J,

Good info.

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2011, 07:16 

Heya c-J,

Have you perchanse assembled some borrowing some gas from say, a MIG welder to try and scoot the oxygen out?

Was just an idea that popped into my head.

I know a fellow who used mineral oil and clear tubing and it worked well.

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2011, 15:12 
Banned

Geek wrote:
scoot the oxygen out?

Hi.

Yes, there is always no harm to expell oxgyen out from the tubing holding the bare conductor wire, be it pure copper or pure silver.

By shrinking up the outside heat shrink tubing with a hot air gun so that the inside tube (mine being Teflon as already said) gets tight support without tossing losse inside the outside tubing. While heat up the outside tubing, the moisture inside the air inside the inner tubing will be dried up.

Another reason, which I skipped to mention, why I always use Teflon tubing, is Teflon is a high temp material can handle up to 200C. So when heating the outer protective heat shrink tubing, the inner
Teflon tubing would not be destroyed by the heat of the hot air gun & at the same time, protect the conductor wire inside.

While shrinking up the outer heat shrink tubing by a hot air gun, make sure both ends of the tubings are open so that the moisture inside the inner tubing is expelled rather than forming a vacuum, defeating the very purpose of trapped the dry air inside the inner tubing as the dielectric
for the conductor wire inside.

c-J

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 20:28 
Project Author

I needed a short inter-connect to go from my Cowon S9 player to my new headphone amp. I used four strands of wire-warp wire, two blue earths, one red and one black.

These were heavily twisted together in a drill and heat shrink tubing placed on top. At the destination end only one earth (blue) is terminated. Gold connectors used. Additional short lengths of heat shrink were placed on the ends for durability, silver solder used.
Attachment:
Interconnects..jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2013, 01:34 
Project Author

If you are a member of the flat earth society or the "Thin is in" for inter-connects you may like these. Due to the fact I have built three headphone (HP) amps in the last three weeks and there is no quality 3.5mm to 6.5mm stereo inter-connects I have a made a few pairs of my own. The three HP amps are two CMoy style chip amps on 18V and one K272B (kit from Oatley soon to be released). The K272B is JAN6418 based. I think there is something just unique about a portable triode HP amp which runs on a 9V battery. Back to the cable build.

These cables call in a few techniques I like, appear to make sense and are very easy to employ.

1 - use wire wrap wire to make the inter-connects.
2 - heavily twist two earths and one hot wire in the cable but only terminal one earth at the destination end.
3 - for the player to HP amp two earths and two hot wires but only terminate one earth at the destination end.
3 - heat shrink tube over the cable and shorter heat shrink ends for durability.
4 - isolate one side of the crimp tags with a few mil. of heat shrink in the RCAs (so when they are crushed down they do no form a conductive loop).
5 - use WBT 4% silver solder.
6 - use cheap flimsy RCAs.
7 - test for shorts and continuity with a meter at every step.
8 - try not to enjoy these great sounding ultra-cheap inter-connects too much.
Attachment:
SkinnyLeads_I.jpg
Attachment:
SkinnyLeads_II.jpg
Attachment:
SkinnyLeads_III.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 23:20 
Project Author

Here are some inexpensive cables I made. Twisted wire-wrap wire - two earths and one hot wire. Only one earth is connected only at the destination end. Light weight connectors are used to reduce eddy currents and magnetic issues in the RCAs. WBT silver solder used for solder connections and heat shrink tubing over the lot. The strain clamp in the RCAs has one side insulated again to stop eddy currents forming.

There is no real shielding other than the second earth wire which acts as a drain to keep noise back at the source rather than pasting it on.
Attachment:
IMG511.jpg

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2014, 18:05 

I LOVE the look of those interconnects! So clean.

I'm assuming the receiving end of the cable only has the center signal wire attached?
Also, where on the internets can I find said silver 'wire wrap wire'?

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2014, 01:09 
Project Author

steezebe wrote:

I'm assuming the receiving end of the cable only has the center signal wire attached?

Jaycar Australia sell wire-wrap wire. Look on their web site.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2014, 18:56 
Project Author

steezebe wrote:

No you start with two earths at the source end but only terminate one earth at the destination end.