DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 04:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: THHN Speaker Cables
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 06:34 

M. Gregg wrote:
Can't get a magnet to stick to any of my cables..OFC, LCOFC or wire..
Just tried it for fun.. :eek: they would have to contain ferrous material :confused:

Magnet won't stick to cca either...

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 11:01 

Just for interest,

I found a difference with types of copper in an amplifier I prefer solid core copper as used in electrical wire. (on power output)
The next that gave a change was linear crystal oxygen free which seemed to not be as warm sounding.
The Oxygen free seemed to give preference to mid frequencies, this could just be the make of wire or insulation material.

Eg
https://www.aurubis.com/en/en/corp/prod ... y-wire/rod

http://www.castingrolling.com/sale-7795 ... -wire.html

Now there is also the problem of connecting the wire to terminals, this is a bit of a mares nest because the load is just low ohms and the wire may be an ohm or more then there is the junctions at either end. However if looking at this you have to ask about internal wire and connections particularly with tube output transformers which have a coil on the output of copper wire.

The size of wire inside equipment has an effect on bass response due to transient current, so what effect does wire type have?

Interestingly I have had good results using magnet wire with insulation as used in coils inside speakers.
Just a personal belief that the conformal coating stopping oxidisation of the surface seems to have an effect.

So what about silver plated or gold plated :) its a bit of a mine field. I have three speaker wires I can try on my system and they all "seem" to sound different. However there are to many variables, insulation type, cross section, and conductor type.

If its possible to hear inductance then your stuffed (I believe you can) but each to their own. :D
I know that national grid have major problems with losses and inductance at 50Hz, OK that is over miles of cable.
If I can hear the change of a non inductive resistor vs inductive with a few turns of resistance wire where does that leave anything else. If you believe changing component types in a crossover has an effect then what's the effect caused by?(at low ohms)

A dumb moment:
If a speaker is a coil of wire on a magnetic material, that's a choke isn't it? :D

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 16:33 

M. Gregg wrote:

MASSIVE SNIPPAGE

A dumb moment:
If a speaker is a coil of wire on a magnetic material, that's a choke isn't it? :D

Regards
M. Gregg

OK, why not? Even though the horse is not only dead, but skinned, flensed and chopped.

A speaker coil is, truly, an inductor. (choke). And if you are at all familiar with speaker history, you might remember the "field coil" speaker - a very clever creation back in the day when reliable, compact, actually 'permanent' permanent magnets were expensive, difficult to machine, and extremely variable one-to-another. Speaker makers inserted a very large choke run at B+ DC voltages as the magnet for a speaker. This device could be wound with extreme precision, was far cheaper than an equivalent permanent magnet, and entirely predictable. More sophisticated field-coils also included a Hum-Buck winding on the voice-coil feed.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/forumdata/us ... king_k.png

Keeping in mind that these speakers were at some remove to the active electronics, and that magnetism propagates at an inverse square of distance ratio, and any stray magnetic and/or inductive effects would be negligible. And that is within a self-contained radio. One hopes your speakers are at some remove from your amplifier. Then, of course, we have the output transformers, chokes, and power transformers as additional generators of stray fields.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 17:12 

That's interesting,

I have seen the field coils on speakers used as a choke but its the first time I've seen the hum buck winding. :up:

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 20:32 

M. Gregg wrote:
That's interesting,

I have seen the field coils on speakers used as a choke but its the first time I've seen the hum buck winding. :up:

Regards
M. Gregg

When it come to tubes, there is nothing new under the sun!