DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 14:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 15:34 

I have gotten idea, inspired by an USB-memory housen in an old tube-tube. What I want to do is to take a tube, most suitable is an octal one or other type that has a plastic "bottom", separate the bottom from the glass, open up the glas from the bottom and remove the metal junk inside and throw in something else and glue the glass to the bottom.
I have some octal tube I can spare and even a pair of Russian 807s.
What I am trying to figure out is how to open up the glass tube, not braking it too much.
Any ideas?

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 20:27 
Project Author

Here is what I would do with an octal (or similarly constructed) tube.

1) Heat the pins and remove the plastic base from the tube. Note that pins have to be heated evenly while not melting the center guide. I'm not sure how to do this but it should be possible because I've seen instances where bases with broken guide pins are replaced. Maybe just cut the base off with a Dremel type cutting wheel and replace it with a new one.

2) Now that the base is removed I would use the same Dremel tool with a diamond cutoff wheel to cut through the tip of the evacuation tube at the base of the tube letting air in to equalize the pressure. Now that the pressure is equalized, I'd use the diamond cutoff wheel to carefully sever the bottom of the tube below the line where top of the plastic base sits. You could make a jig that holds the tool steady and then has a couple of V-blocks to rotate the tube against the edge of the miniature cutoff wheel. This would minimize breakage.

3) When cut through all the way around, carefully remove the base pins and the internals of the tube. Cut the pins above the base to remove the internals. Leave enough length to solder something new to the pins.

Replace the internals with whatever you like. You could even put some solid state electronics in the tube connected to the pins in the base. When it was glued back together a custom wired socket would provide connectivity. You could have flashing LEDs, little motors moving things, anything you wanted. And it wold still look like an old vacuum tube. Great idea!

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 09:15 

Sounds like a sound advice. I never gave the tube a chance to adjust to room pressure and maybe that resulted in too much of the glass breaking.
Will try that when I get home (I am in Prague right now).

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll