DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Apr 2018, 21:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Workbench lighting
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2014, 05:49 

I'm about to redo my work area and would like to have a wonderful lighting – to help my old eyes and clumsy fingers! What do you wizards use?

Anyone use those round magnifiers; with extendable arms; some with lighted surrounds? Any good links or recommendations? Thanks so much in advance for your advice.

Doug

Post subject: Re: Workbench lighting
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2014, 06:26 

One of those 4', dual T-8 flourescent tube plugin lighting dealies for $17 from Home Depot :D

Plus a swing desklamp for close-in work.

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2014, 15:57 

For a completey other project I ordered two rolls of LED-lights (12VDC) but came to think of this rather different design.
At my work I took a piece of sheet metal (1 meter by 16-17cm), bent it in almost an U-shape and taped three rows of the LED-lists, connected them and hooked it up to a 12V wallwart taken from an external HDD-enclosure. My LEDS are cold white, but someone had tried something similar with cold white LEDs and a set of warm white.

My design looks like this - note the hooks to have it hanging from the ceiling:

Lighting up my workbench, before I tidied it up :blush:

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2014, 16:49 
Project Author

Magnus: looks good. I use a crappy desk lamp with a ECO Fluro lamp. Not good but it works.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2014, 22:43 
Project Author

Hi, I ordered some of the same LEDs. Four rolls from someplace in Asia. Cheap and they have sticky backs. You cut them up into lengths you need, in three LED groups. Great inside cabinets and under shelves. For the electronics bench though I use two magnifiers. One is a 5 X 7 inch with dual G23 7watt florescent tubes (came from Frys Electronics some years ago) the other is a 5 inch circular one with a boat load of LEDs (this one is a current Parts Express item). The big one is better for doing chassis sized work the small for more detailed stuff. I have found that there is no such thing as too much light when working on projects. In the large part of the shop (was a garage once) where I do metal working, wood working and painting there are 5 dual T40 overhead lights that can be individually switched on and off plus a few spot lights on things like the drill press.

And....unlike things I used to do in the past, I now clean up the benches after a project is finished.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2014, 22:55 
Project Author

I promised the wife, after the 6V6 amp (currently underway), I would pull apart the LAB and repack. It will be a massive job and one I am dreading. With luck I'll heart attack before then and not have to do it.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 01:34 

gofar99 wrote:
And....unlike things I used to do in the past, I now clean up the benches after a project is finished.

I constantly have so many projects running that I never get a chance to tidy up ... :idea:

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 12:49 

I have a roll of those LED lights. I might have to try making a light bar too. I have the same (2) 4' T-8, plug in and swing arm setup that Geek mentioned.

Right now my work bench has sawdust all over it. I'm making Arts and Crafts style things (small shelf, bookshelf, wall bench)

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2014, 05:41 

I have a discarded (due to progressive LCD pixel failure) 32" flat screen cold cathode tv body mounted high on the wall of my small workroom. With the LCD panel and some of the diffusers removed, it makes an excellent bright daylight substitute and I think a good alternative to a "SAD" lamp!

Attachment:
20141109_083445_Android1.jpg

The CCL is flicker free and silent. The size of the light emitting surface and the proximity of the ceiling as primary reflector means that there are no sharp shadows cast, and being above eye height, it has little opportunity to dazzle.

Attachment:
20141109_084713_Android1.jpg

And yes, I use those mounted magnifiers - but I cannot recommend a supplier.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.