DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 10:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 09:29 

Hi, I'm new to this forum.
I'm considering making a 3-way acoustic boxes and speaker 10 inc. boxes will have an approximate volume of 95 liters, which keep a rear bass reflex system. The anger woofer mounted on the bottom, the middle range in the middle and upper tweeter. My question is this:
You can mount inside the box to cushion system back wave of the woofer?, Below the frequency of the waves bass reflex output from the port without problem, the resonance frequency bass reflex comes into phase with the woofer, but for higher frequencies have thought of putting a grid-like structure lined with foam cubes phono absorbing, so that the wave of media passes up is find a great superfiecie attenuating foam.
Someone has set up something similar?
Thank you.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 17:46 
Project Author

Hi Daniel and welcome to the forum. I'm not exactly sure what you want to do but I would suggest you post the question on the forum at Parts Express and the one on audioroundtable.com

Both sites have a lot of speaker builders and they may have done something like you want to do.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2013, 02:53 

thanks for your information, i atteched a simple draw of the structure, perhaps with the draw is more easy to see te idea.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2013, 06:19 

Attachment didn't show :confused:

(You have to upload them before hitting "reply")

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2013, 06:35 

i`m sorry i upload the file again

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2013, 17:50 

Thanks!

I see a couple of caveats:

It's best to completely seal off the woofer from the midrange and tweeter. Even if you don't blow the voicecoils off the magnet poles, you will push the cones into a non-linear range otherwise.

I've built rear-firing port cabs before and they have to be positioned *perfect* to get the bass enhancement, or the bottom end gets all boomy and mushy.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013, 10:18 

thanks geek, the midrange and the tweeter is shielded, the rear part of both speakers are completly closed.
of course the bass-reflex is calculated for 34 hz. But really is important the position of the tube?
there are any special possition for the bass-reflex tube?
thanks again

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013, 16:48 

Hi,

Not really, but behind the woofer seems to be the most accepted position as the air has less distance to travel.

The important thing is the length and diameter of the tube, as it sets the resonance. Too small diameter and it'll "chuff" on bass transients, so as large of diameter as practical befor going negative in length in the math.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2013, 09:38 

thanks Geek. of course the resonant frecuency of the bass reflex (lenght and wide dimesion) is calculated to extend the frecuency response of the woofer, that allows to extend the low range of the complete system.
But my question is refered of the constuction of the structure build in the midle of the box, the square grid shape lined of foam with piramidal, for decrease quickly the waveform produced by the woofer in the rear side.

i think, the ideal enclosure must not be a reflexive space, because that creates a lots of interaction of waves inside the box, that is the reason of increase the surface of piramidal foam with this structure, similar as a heat dissipator used with electronic devices with the hot.

somebody constructed something similar?