DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 21:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 11:14 

What's the DIY method of creating them? Do they have to be really accurate or only roughly cut to fit in the drivers?
Also, page 2 in the design says '1/2" Bevel (Typ.)' - what's the bevel for and what's the diy way to cut it?
http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/MiniS ... 091007.pdf

This is my first speakers project so excuse me if my questions are really elementary...

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 18:21 
Editor

Hi Krusty,

For cutting holes, I will use a hole saw kit if possible (I'm terrible with router) otherwise for odd sizes I will use a router with a jasper circle jig. The cutout should be fairly accurate as it is important that there are no air leaks. Since you will use some sort of gasket / caulk you don't have to be exact.

The bevel is a "chamfer" of the baffle behind the rear of the driver. The purpose is to allow for good airflow from the rear of the driver into the enclosure. You can see an example of mine made using a router - Photo 1: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Fo ... ss-Reflex/

You need to bevel the edge because the baffle is 1-1/4" thick so not to restrict air-flow from the woofers. Best way would be to use a router. Without a router I have used a wood file (rasp). See Photo 2: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/BD-Pipes/

Hope this helps.
Cheers

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 22:23 
Project Author

I use a Jasper jig and router as well.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013, 16:42 

Gio wrote:
For cutting holes, I will use a hole saw kit if possible (I'm terrible with router) otherwise for odd sizes I will use a router with a jasper circle jig. The cutout should be fairly accurate as it is important that there are no air leaks. Since you will use some sort of gasket / caulk you don't have to be exact.

The bevel is a "chamfer" of the baffle behind the rear of the driver. The purpose is to allow for good airflow from the rear of the driver into the enclosure. You can see an example of mine made using a router - Photo 1: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Fo ... ss-Reflex/

You need to bevel the edge because the baffle is 1-1/4" thick so not to restrict air-flow from the woofers. Best way would be to use a router. Without a router I have used a wood file (rasp). See Photo 2: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/BD-Pipes/

Thank you Gio, very informative post indeed.
Could the chamfer be created with round files in mdf?
Why does the "Statements" have a double baffle in the front? Why not use a single board?..
Now, which damping matterial did you use? I prefer to use a not specialized acoustic material to keep costs down...

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 16:54 
Editor

Yes, you can use a round file, just like I did with the BD-Pipes. Don't scour the wood away too much where the drivers are fastened in place.

The thick front baffle is for increased rigidity (so the baffle won't flex).

For low cost damping material I use polyester fill (polyfil) from Wal-Mart (sewing / crafts section).

Cheers

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2013, 12:27 

Thank you for your help.

Quote:
The thick front baffle is for increased rigidity (so the baffle won't flex).

The baffle I have is 5mm thicker than specified. Will it create a "sonic tunnel" affect? Will chamfering around the edges it be a good idea?

Quote:
For low cost damping material I use polyester fill (polyfil) from Wal-Mart (sewing / crafts section).

I saw in some guides "pink glass fibers" are recommended. Will it be as good?

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2013, 10:25 
Editor

Fibreglass insulation has been commonly used in the past. Less so nowadays due to the heath issues around it and the wide availability of synthetic materials. Insulation should work fine. Be sure to "tease" it to fluff it up somewhat.

With a really thick baffle, the chamfer becomes more important. You don't want to restrict airflow behind the driver so you will have to size the chamfer accordingly if you are going to use a thicker baffle.

Cheers