DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 14:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Working in glass
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2013, 09:39 

Bought, before we left for the States, two glass hole saws of different size:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/50mm-Diameter-Glasses-Cutter-Diamond-Drill-Hole-Saw/531574354.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Diamond-Coating-Glass-Cutter-Tile-Marble-Hole-Saw-35mm/531566073.html

Haven't tested them yet as I need lots of time and lots of patience and some pieces of glass and an amp to go with the holes.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2013, 21:55 

Hmmm..... intriguing, but, as with Mark and Bruce, I have enough problems with more common materials. I can only imagine the amount of broken glass and personal consternation trying to use glass in a project would cause for me. Wouldn't be a pretty thing. My last project with wood and plexi wasn't pleasant and what came of it wouldn't be something I would want to put on display. Since it was for a utilitarian purpose, it does the job. I'll stick with metal casing for the time being.

:beerchug:

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstien

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 00:57 
Project Author

I know soundbrigade intends only to use glass as a cover layer over a top plate and not as a transparent top plate but there ae so many nice materials out there which are easier to work with. And maybe even nicer aesthetically.

I suppose you could have a laugh at me with my 1" thick Acacia chopping board amp, Arabella. Why not stick with Al or steel or something easier?

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 03:02 

Well, let's see what magic he can do! :D

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 04:28 
Project Author

Geek wrote:
Well, let's see what magic he can do! :D

With Soundbrigade at the helm anything is possible.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 05:44 

Or impossible ...

I had the idea of using the glass as a decorating cover. Right now I am waiting for a 6P1?-amp from China. Jopefulle the (three) tubes is situated so far from eachother I can drill holes without breaking the glass.

Btw, I tried to write 'glass' and 'holes' as one word and see what I got: '!@#$%^&'. I love living in a free country ...

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 06:17 
Project Author

Try "holes of glass". But then can you have a hole of glass?

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 09:36 

Is the glass half full or half empty ...?? :confused:

I simply got to test to drill a whole lot of glasses. I will get back to you with results and hopefully pics. I have an electric (230VAC) drill with stand but it has no "speed control" so I have to fiddle a bit. I also have an electric screwdriver but it will fit in a stand. What's important is slow steady speed, light and stable pressure and good cooling. Guess I wrote that already. :sleep:

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 12:45 
Project Author

Hi, I had a rather late thought on the issue of using glass.... be sure to leave lots of space around the tube sockets and perhaps allow it to float on the the chassis. The consideration being heating and expansion. I can just envision listening to a favorite music selection and hearing the cracking noise of the glass breaking up followed by the arcs and sparks of the amp going into orbit. :hot:

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 14:03 

NO! I hadn't planned to mount the amp on a glass plate, but on a metal chassis and have a holed piece of glass suspended above the chassis with tubes sticking through the holes - see the photo above.

―Lewis Carroll