DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Apr 2018, 22:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 14:36 

Question for those experienced in making aluminum chassis; how do you drill nice clean larger holes in aluminum? The top plate of my chassis is going to be 3mm aluminum, I've got a drill and bits for smaller holes, but how do you make your larger holes (20mm+) for tube sockets and PSU wiring? Is there special bits you can buy for aluminum? I've got a hole drilling kit for larger holes in wood, but I'm guess they probably won't cut it for aluminum. And do most of you use a drill press or wing it with a hand held?

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 23:05 

well , draw the hole then drill small holes( i like 1/8" bit -not too big , not too fragile) inside the circumference taking note not to hit the line , give some leeway for filing. Also a good technique is to then use a slightly bigger bit just to connect the small holes together. for those too far to each other , you can use a side cutter to connect them . dont use too much force or you will bend the plate and there goes your cosmetics...then file till the correct hole size. hope this helps
noelM

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2010, 16:58 

Honestly, there is absolutely no substitute for Greenlee or Pioneer punches for holes exceeding 1/2".

If you shop around on fleabay, you can create yourself a nice set of most-used punches for less than $100 8-)

As for drills in that range, you'll need a machinists set - they are cobalt and require a 5/8" (or larger) drill press chuck in that size range. But once you see the price, you could buy punches new for less :shock:

Wood drills, even in aluminium are very, very dangerous. I've had the heads break off and embed themselves in the wall (thanks gods not my throat!)

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2010, 20:38 
Editor

I use drill bits to make a pilot hole and then I switch over to a stepped drill bit. In aluminum this works fine with a cordless 3/8" drill and no lubricant is required. One stepped drill bit I have is 1-3/8", and I have used it up to 1-1/8". For use with only wood and aluminum, the bit looks like it will last a lifetime.
Cheers

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2010, 22:39 

I'd like to add that with a stepped drill bit, a drill press (on its slowest speed) is handy for clean holes. But clamp your work, otherwise it could "bite" into it and make for a nasty spinning piece of cutlery :eek:

Cheers!

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2010, 16:33 

This is what I use at low speed drilling. It works fine.

Cheers,
Miguel

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2010, 01:17 

Bum image URL, Miguel :(

Cheers!

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2010, 12:27 

Geek wrote:

I don´t get it... Is it too aggressive? ;)

Cheers,
Miguel

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2010, 13:41 

I use my torque wrench with the knockout punch and can easily cut a nice clean hole in 1/8" aluminum. I have used off brands with little success. They may be OK for someone making an amp or two, but not recommended for longterm use. They do not hold their edge. And Geek is so correct about clamping your piece during drilling. With thin sheets of aluminum, one could easily suffer serious injury.

Cheers,
Greg

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2010, 22:42 

HT Performance wrote:
Geek wrote:

I don´t get it... Is it too aggressive? ;)

Now I see it! :)

Yes, bi-metal holesaws can be useful too.

Cheers!