DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 09 Apr 2020, 06:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chip board help pls
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 09:36 

Just a quick question, has anyone tried making an enclosure out of chip board? i understand there are two types, the one i have lots of has a smoother surface, ive searched the forum but nothing much has come up.

Post subject: Re: Chip board help pls
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 19:17 
Editor

Assuming this is for a speaker enclosure, I would recommend something of much better quality. A birch multiplex plywood works really great but is a bit pricey and sometimes hard to locate.

MDF is readily available, inexpensive and a much better choice than chip board. However, be sure to wear a mask or use a dust collection system as the MDF dust is not very nice.
Cheers

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010, 06:50 

Chip board is vague terminology, and can mean different things to different people, even in the same area.

Engineered woods have a great range of uses, and most are simply not suitable for speaker building. Some resins/chemicals used in their manufacture are toxic. Some will not hold screws well, and/or stay glued together well for the purpose of an enclosure. Some will not cut well and leave a nice straight edge that will seal properly. Some will begin to separate and buzz or rattle over time, when subjected to the pressures inside a speaker enclosure.

I agree with Gio, in that MDF is hard to beat for general, all purpose use to build an enclosure. At least 3/4". Also, as he alluded to, very high grade plywoods are great. My local Menards has a great selection of birch and oak plywood up to one inch thickness.

Cheers,
Greg

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010, 14:23 

thanks guys so mdf it is, im guessing you would all suggest 3/4" right?

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010, 16:10 

1'' will be more rigid and less prone to resonances. Brace it every 6 inches or so. If you prefer a "live" sounding enclosure, then you could use 3/4''. Below is an example of how I braced my latest 2 way TMM floorstander (1inch thick MDF). You can still feel vibrations outside the box but these rarely resonate inside enough to colour the sound.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010, 20:37 
Editor

Another thing to consider with MDF is the physical weight which can get pretty large with a big enclosure.
Cheers