DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 00:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Powder coated chassis
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2009, 09:51 

Hey guys, I lucked into something local and there is a pretty good chance you can too.

There is a fabrication shop up the street from my work that builds Go-Karts and fabricates just about anything you need. They also powder coat.

Going with gloss black, which is this shop's most frequent use, they are doing 6x10x2 Hammond chassis for $6-7 a piece for me. Other colors will cost more because they are going to shoot mine while they spray other jobs.

There is a good chance something like this is available near you...take a look. If not and you want a nice finish (the gloss black is not quite mirror, but very reflective) you can set your chassis up how you like (holes and whatnot) and ship it to me and I will get it done for you for little cost over base quote.

I have one there now undrilled and will post some pics when I get it back, we are going to try pre and post drilled to see which ends up with a better finish overall.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2009, 12:03 
Editor

Good tip. Let us know how it all turns out.

Cheers

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2009, 09:03 

Ok, got my first chassis back:

$5 for a 10x6x2 hammond aluminum box! :eek:

Worth $5? Definitely! It is very glossy though not a great, smooth look...orange-peely and a few spots but for $5 it is a steal...probably equivilent to 6-10 coats of spray paint.

He can do 6500 different colors but any color chosen would be about $40 to set up, spray and clean out the gun.

He will do any color he is spraying for me for $5...so I can tag along with orders. He said common in his shop is Gloss Black, textured black, gloss white, and ferrari red.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2009, 12:02 
Editor

Hard to pass up at those prices and nothing wrong with his common colors. Post a photo of a finished chassis when you get a chance.
Cheers

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2009, 12:35 

Yeah I meant to yesterday but our car radiator sprang a leak so I had to play detective. :cop:

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2009, 16:22 

Here is a pic with purpleheart sides delivered by the wood supply I outlined in the Wood Supply thread:

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2009, 10:32 
Editor

That really looks great Bill. I agree, you would spend more money on the paint alone and it would take a lot of practice to get that nice of a finish.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2009, 13:33 

If you want to get your head spinning take a look at the colors available:

http://www.nicindustries.com/prismatic_powders.php

I mean, 14 pages of blue? :shock:

PostPosted: 26 May 2009, 13:32 
Project Author

Nice find man and nice find for me!! Thinking of doing an LM4780 later this year. Maybe I will have to ship you a hammond chassis. This really looks very good and I dont think I would have the patience to make it look like that with sprays.
Ri

PostPosted: 27 May 2009, 02:41 

Hi,

5$ that's something alright :eek: !! Alas Am not in the region :bawling:

Anyways hope you guy can take the full advantage of this !!

Btw Ri Am totally looking forward to your future LM Amp ;) ! start a thread soon so that I can keep a tab on the project !!

Regards.