DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Aug 2019, 01:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 10:49 

I'm looking at a small cigar humidor for a Gainclone enclosure for $15 US.
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/HUM-TR10.html. Has anyone used a humidor before? Any issues you might see?

Thanks,
Luis

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 20:45 
Editor

Hi Luis, wooden boxes can be used. Mark has used wooden boxes for a number of his projects
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/6418- ... phone-Kit/
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Chip/CMoy-G ... phone-Amp/
They won't offer any shielding, but you can use Aluminum Tape (typically used for heating ducts) to line the box to get some shielding.
Cheers

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 21:04 

Gio, thanks for the tip about the shielding and Mark's examples. I got a couple of wooden cigar boxes and will give them a try.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 01:39 
Editor

These Grado RA-1 wooden enclosure photos may be of interest: http://ecp.cc/ra1.html

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 16:03 
Banned

Luis wrote:
a small cigar humidor

HI.

Yes, I have built a few gadgets with cigar boxes which I scrapped for nothing.

(1). A 6V tire-pump power supply on 120VAC with built in small DC fan to cool down 120V-6V mains transformer which gets pretty hot on 5A DC loading by the tire-pump.

2) 120V DC power booster for my 25W soldering gun to handle unleaded silver wires I just switched over from leaded silver solder wires. Unlike leaded solder wires, unleaded solder wires get higher melting point & need soldering iron hotter than 25W.

Instead of buying a 40W or hotter solder iron, I built a voltage doubler (125VAC to 250VDC) & dropped it down to 140DC to power the 25W solder iron. With the raised DC voltage, the 25W iron is booster up to 38W. Hot enough to handle unleaded silver wires without getting too hot to blow the heating wires inside the iron.

I only used a used cap & 2 1N4007 type used diodes which I scrapped from my parts bin. Running cool cool. Guess how I did it.

Now I am design-building a RF remote-activated/shut off alarm system for my home. Again using a 13.5" x 4" x3.5" wooden box of a wine bottle, a gift from a friend. I have to use wooden box to allow RF to control the electronics housed inside the box.

Lots of fun.

c-J