DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 04:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steel vs Wood
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 22:16 

I'm finally making some progress after putting this down due to some work and personal distractions. I did end up using self etching primer on both sides. The places where I had ground studs were masked off then burnished. I installed studs with star washers and secured with nylock nuts. The wood where it meets the metal was treated with a penetrating oil and wiping varnish (Waterlox). The top plate has been mounted for a month or more and no further signs of the leaching issues as before. Finally getting some of the guts installed. Frankly I'm not as happy with it as I was hoping for. While the solid wire is a dream but it's a bit bulkier to work with than I liked. Some of the components dimensionally weren't what I was counting on, the little tube base circuit boards also not as handy as I was expecting but, there's always next time. A few loose ends to finish up then a long hard look at all the connections and compare to the schematic, verify all the components are where they need to be, give it a good proper clean out to remove any clippings then the start up begins.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 22:32 

Here's a view of the back connections. I had considered turning it over for the photo but then decided against it when I was reminded just how heavy it is. I'll take a right side up photo again after it's finsihed. Nothing spectacular to look at but I am pleased with how the power connector turned out. My first experience with a chisel...I've learned much and may likely never go that route again but still...it turned out ok.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 20:04 

Well, the check, check and check again just saved me a few bucks and some hassles. It seems that while I was sizing up components and trimming leads and trying to make things somewhat visually presentable, I swapped the first and second capacitors. Thankfully, no harm done since no power applied as yet...and I thought I was just waiting on a couple 8 Ohm 25 watt resistors so that I could apply some power and do some voltmeter probing.

I say, walk away for awhile. Distance yourself from the project then come back. It makes you look more carefully for faults.

-Steph

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 21:30 
Project Author

Hi, Nicework. I like anything made with a wood case.

An earlier comment was made about the spacing of transformers. I have found that more is better. I like to keep power trannies at least 2 inches away from audio ones and if the audio ones are side by side at least an inch. My commercial products (mono blocks ) put the power and output trannies at opposite ends of the chassis. Maybe I'm just real picky about not having anything degrade the sound, but I have found that closer spacing does result in measurable either hum (power trannie to output) or crosstalk (output to output). Perhaps low enough for most folks, but like I said I'm really picky about stuff like that.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2017, 13:40 

Thank you for the kind words and vote of confidence for my transformer spacing. I'm waiting for a couple of dummy resistors and with any luck I'll be doing a power up check fairly soon.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2017, 14:16 

Steph wrote:
Thank you for the kind words and vote of confidence for my transformer spacing. I'm waiting for a couple of dummy resistors and with any luck I'll be doing a power up check fairly soon.

Do you need any? And if so how many and where are you? I have several dozen up to 100 watts.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2017, 20:54 

Very generous of you but I have them on the way. Fed Ex indicating they should be here tomorrow.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 19:46 

Well, it didn't spit fire or make any popping or fizzing sounds. All the smoke appears to still be inside their respective components. I haven't applied any signal as yet but thus far, no need for a fire extinguisher or priest :-)

I've got to do a little poking around with the volt meter and scope. For now the mechanics seems ok.