DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 Mar 2019, 08:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009, 19:30 

Dan,

Saying the price of the Sowter is very, very high is being kind on your part, LOL!

Cheers,
Greg

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009, 21:42 
Editor

Bluesman wrote:
I gotta tell you, when I saw that little package in the mail I thought, "Uh oh! Wrong shipment." But all is in order. I am completely surprised at how small they are. That's a good thing for off the pcb mounting, though.
I have not got mine yet, but the unit is tapped to take screws. Does it look like there is a chance it could be mounted to the pcb?

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2009, 06:18 

I would think if it is OK to ground the case of the tranny, then you could drill three properly spaced holes directly across the middle of the silkscreen for T1 and mount it like that. The wires have shrink wrap around them, but I think I'd add a grommet for those. The screws used for mounting would connect the case to the ground plane of the pcb. If this is the goal, holes for screws should probably be such that screw has to be threaded in, more or less, to insure good contact. The wires would have to be connected from the bottom of the pcb, of course.

If the case CANNOT be grounded, then possibly it could be done with proper precautions( i. e., plenty of clearance for screws and using grommets or nylon bushings, etc.) to avoid contacting the ground plane.

Just guessing here, so take that for what it's worth. But I can't see anything about either of these that won't work.

Later, Greg

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009, 11:55 
Editor

I got mine yesterday. Cute little fellows! I'll take a closer look when i get a chance, but I don't think it will be that easy to mount the transformers to the PCB.

Dan, thanks very much for putting this together as it was a considerable savings over the Sowter units.
Cheers

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009, 17:50 
Project Author

HI Guys,

Gio,

No worries - sorry for all the waiting around... between the post office and the suppliers...I am glad they have arrived i thought it would take for ever...

Greg,

I think there is another thread for this one also ? the xfrmr case can definately be gounded

Just a suggestion - i would be careful drilling the pcb so as not to short out layers / tracks

-Dan

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009, 19:40 

Dan,

Thanks for the advice, but I don't really intend to mount on the pcb. I plan to make a small bracket and mount off the board.

Greg

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009, 19:53 
Project Author

That is an even better idea,

Wish I had done that.... perhaps this build i will.... aaaaah too many projects not enough time...

-Dan

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009, 12:25 
Editor

Dan wrote:
I am glad they have arrived i thought it would take for ever...

So did I. When Mark sent me a package and I sent him one it took almost two months. We were convinced they had been lost.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009, 16:34 
Project Author

got to love international post.. the best part is when they quote you online the price never matches the real world price..... aaah post offices

-Dan

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009, 18:37 

I recently shipped an ebay item to South Korea from Ohio, USA. I dropped it off at the post office at noon on Monday. On Wednesday, yes two days later, I sent a message to the buyer to let him know his package was en route. Imagine my shock when he told me he had received it that day.

Another similar instance was when I purchased some items from Per-Anders Sjostrom in Sweden. I had them in 3 days after shipment.

On the flip side of that, I once sold an ebay item to someone in Canada and it took about 6 weeks to be delivered.

Go figure.

-Greg

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next