DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 26 May 2019, 09:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 03:33 

I'm in.

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 09:46 

I'd prefer shielded, but could come up with something if it does not work out. I'm definitely shielding mine one way or another (prior experience indicates that my environment mandates shielding).

And ditto on the thanks for your efforts on this.

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 10:08 

I'm confused with the price... is it $140(sowter) or is it $20(EDCO) or is it still up in the air?

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 17:11 

mkapadia wrote:
I'm confused with the price... is it $140(sowter) or is it $20(EDCO) or is it still up in the air?

Mitul,

If you are interested in the Edcor group buy, please state here what you are interested in. I don't have you on my list as yet.

I checked with Sowter about the possibility of a group buy, and the stated $140 USD/pair is their quote for a small number of less than 20 pieces. That would be shipped from England to each individual. I would love to have a pair because of the fact the pcb is made for them, but common sense tells me not at that price. I'm one to not spare a little added expense here and there because I like to get what I want, but Sowter is high dollar stuff( a pair of 6.6K OPTs would be more than $400 USD) and I doubt most of us would realize an audible difference between their phase splitter and the Edcors or the Altronics. That said, if someone wants to jump in and buy Sowter on their own, I say go for it.

I also did some snooping on Hammond's site today and they have some matching transformers. I would think one of theirs would work, as well. Part#107T comes to mind. However, someone with more technical knowledge than I would need to verify that.

Later, Greg

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 18:29 

Here's some more communication with Brian Weston at Edcor, concerning our power tranny needs. Like Bill mentioned, even if we have something custom made, we can spread the cost out over the group. Having a power tranny made to our needs with the CT will add only about $5 USD to each one.

http://audiotransformers.net/index.php?topic=249.0

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 18:56 
Editor

mkapadia wrote:

Well, nothing is official right now, but here is a quick run down.

Sowter (shielded) which will fit on the board would be ~$140US shipped.

Edcor (unshielded) would be ~$20 + shipping from the US.

Altronics Part No. M0706 (shielded) would be ~$30 + shipping from AU (assumes 5 people).

I also cannot justify spending that much on the Sowter. The Altronics looks like a very good unit, the price is reasonable and Dan has used it on a previous Uniamp build so we know it works.

I'm in for the Altronics and Greg has shown interest as well. I am guessing Mark and Dan will also be in.

Greg, what is the headcount for power and OT?

Also Greg, what were you thinking for the chokes?

Cheers,
Gio

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 19:02 
Editor

Bluesman wrote:
I also did some snooping on Hammond's site today and they have some matching transformers. I would think one of theirs would work, as well. Part#107T comes to mind. However, someone with more technical knowledge than I would need to verify that.

Greg, those don't seem to be shielded.

BTW - I can normally get good prices on Hammond and I can pick them up locally, so no shipping. We could consider them for the chokes.

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 19:16 

Gio,

As of now we have one who wants just power and output from Edcor. We have four others who have said they're in for "all needed", which is begiining to look like power and output from Edcor, and phase splitters from Altronics. I like the idea of shielding, especially after what Dusty Chalk said. And those are shielded for a reason, which I'm certain is why the Sowter was used by Mr. Millett. With even well designed vacuum tube amps being susceptible to hum, I say let's get Dan to do the GB for us for that.

As for a choke, I was intending to use the Hammond 193J, which is an enclosed choke I used for my KT88 SET. But I may opt for an open frame and put it under the top plate.

Or, if I hit the Lotto this week I may just drop $1300 for all Sowter. LOL! I'm not joking on that amount. That's close to what the iron would cost for a pair of monoblocks.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 23 May 2009, 10:52 
Editor

Group buy started for the Altronics M0706 - 10k:10k Shielded Transformer - UniAmp.

PostPosted: 25 May 2009, 09:06 

Here's the plan laid out for all to see. If there is any objection to this, please speak up now.

This week I'm going to finalize a list of what each individual is buying, and thus will know how many the group is buying. I can then get this info to Edcor so they can give us a definite price for each piece. Then it is up to each of us to Paypal the money to them so they can begin production. Lead time was 5 weeks at first mention of this to Edcor about 4 weeks ago. That may have changed some by now. But regardless, I want to get this finished. I'd like to have my iron by mid July, as I will have 2 weeks off work, time I can spend finishing the amp/amps.

So we have to promptly make our payments to Edcor, plus we shouldn't have anyone bail at the last second. After they give us a quote for a certain number of pieces, it wouldn't be fair to them or the rest of the group buy participants, as their quote is based on the quantity we buy, of course.

I'm going to have them build a power tranny with a 6.3VCT, as Brian from Edcor says that's best. Should increase the cost per item by $5 or so, unless they've built one before, in which case there is no set-up fee.

The OPT will be the CXPP-50-MS-6.6K. List is $70 USD and change. Our price will be slightly less than that.

Power tranny will be similar to the XPWR011, which has the precise specs needed, other than no CT on the 6.3V winding. List is $77 USD and change, and our cost should be close to that, even with the addition of a CT.

Bottom line is, even with a high estimate we're looking in the neighborhood of $300 USD, plus shipping.

Here is a copy directly from an email from Edcor, stating what they need from each of us;

"We can ship the units separately. You need to collect a list of people
with their shipping address and phone number along with their email
address(prefer their PayPal account address as we will send them a money
request thru PayPal) and a list of the items with quantities that each person
is ordering. "

I would like for everyone to get that info PMed to me ASAP.

Cheers, Greg

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next