DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Jul 2019, 15:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 10:00 
Editor

I can wait. Has Edcor given any indication of how many we will need to get a price break?

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 12:07 

No mention of that, Gio.

If they respond to my messages, I'll find that out. I'm really surprised that I got nothing from them this week. They were so quick to respond before, even on the weekend. I also tried to register for their technical advice forum, which has a bit of activity, nothing too stupendous. To register I have to respond to their activation email, but haven't received that after three tries for some reason.

I'm going to take it upon myself to make inquiries with some other transformer manufacturers. If I can get a response.

Later, Greg

PostPosted: 16 May 2009, 21:11 

OK, it has been over two weeks since this "interest check" was posted. As of today there are 5 people interested in participation. They are as follows and please advise if your interest has changed. It's no big deal if you want out. I think this is dead in the water anyway, as I have not had a response from Edcor for my last four emails. And I don't think we would get a huge price break with this participation. In fact, I'm poring over ebay for vintage iron that I could use. I have a power tranny I can use, and I've contacted Sowter about the chances of a group buy for the phase splitter we need. Trying to set myself up if this GB doesn't work out.

1. gmilitano- All iron needed
2. ejfud- All iron needed?
3. Dusty Chalk- All iron needed
4. Bluesman- All iron needed
5. Uncle Erik- Power and Output only

If I have missed anyone, please post here.

Cheers, Greg

PostPosted: 17 May 2009, 10:06 
Editor

I am still in for all iron and time is not an issue.

PostPosted: 18 May 2009, 11:38 

I decided to try the Edcor technical support forum again and this time was able to log on and got a quick response from Brian Weston concerning the phase splitter. Brian mentions a choice of two transformers we can use in place of the Sowter. I got a quote from Sowter for a small group buy for their 3575-C and the cost would be in the range of $140 USD/ pair shipped. As much as I would love to have the Sowter, I think it would be nuts to buy them, considering the Edcor is about $20/pair USD. A bit cheaper possibly for a group purchase. The PCW series mentioned is a pcb mount, the WSM, a chassis mount. The WSM seems more user friendly for our needs, what with having to mount off the board. It has 1/4" spade connectors, which I like, whereas the PCW has pins.

http://audiotransformers.net/index.php?topic=248.0

I'm going to contact the sales department again and go from there regarding the group buy.

Cheers, Greg

PostPosted: 18 May 2009, 16:12 

Some more info directly from Edcor.

http://audiotransformers.net/index.php?topic=250.0

PostPosted: 18 May 2009, 20:32 
Editor

Greg, Thanks for the efforts you have put into all this. I agree, on the Sowter - too much $, but shielded would be nice. Do you think that lack of shielding will be an issue?

Dan - Do you recall what did you use for the phase splitter in the Uniamp?

Looking at the SOWTER Type 3575 and PCW10K/10K pin spacing, I don't think that the PCW10K/10K is an option. So that leaves the WSM10K/10K.

PostPosted: 18 May 2009, 20:48 

Yes, either of the Edcors mentioned will have to mounted off the board. The WSM has frame mounting holes for the chassis, so that's what we will need. And we will have to figure out how to hardwire by determining what tabs on the Edcor correspond to the Sowter pin holes in the pcb.

As far as the shielding question, I don't know the answer.

PostPosted: 18 May 2009, 22:12 
Project Author

Hi guys,

I used a transformer from a local electronics supplier "Altronics" Part No. M0706 which has the following rating:

Used for coupling audio circuits. These transformers help prevent earth loops, hum etc. Essential coupling device where DC isolating is required. Housed in a mu-metal can to guard against stray hum fields.

Specifications
Impedance: 10k Ohm CT / 10k Ohm
Freq. Response: 30Hz - 20kHz
Insertion Loss: 1dB
Max Level: +10dBm
Weight: 26g

(because it is at line level and high impedance load in practice it is usable down to 20Hz)

Performance is good and cost is low.

See attached.
Attachment:
M0705.gif

-Dan

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 19:21 
Editor

Thanks for the info Dan.

In an email with Dan, he raised a good point about the high input impedance and the potential for picking up noise / hum. So we should consider shielding. We could try a food can around the Edcor unit, I've done this before with toroidal transformers and Danish cookie tins.

Dan also offered to do a group buy for us. We should have no problem hitting 10, so the price would be $16.70AU which is about $13US. So for a little more than the Edcor units (shipping from AU will also be more) we could get the Altronics shielded unit.

I think I would prefer the shielded unit.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next