DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 07:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 24 May 2010, 17:36 

Hi,
If you are thinking about remote controlling your amp then you should think about an arduino based kit, you can do alsorts with it. for example with an infared shield you can control a motorised pot which would change the attenuator. But if you wanted to be super nerdy/genius then attach the ethernet shield and a few sensors and you can make it tweet the temp your amp is running at or the lumens of light being given off by the heaters or display the information on an LCD display. put simply they can do pretty much anything you can think of, aslong as you can get your head around the code

:D Lewis

PostPosted: 24 May 2010, 18:49 
Project Author

kkkittehz wrote:
put simply they can do pretty much anything you can think of, aslong as you can get your head around the code

Problem is I cant get my head around it :)

PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 09:48 

Does anyone know which arduino kit one would use to control the volume?

I too am thinking about 8 channels for a passive preamp hooked up to a PC (for an ambisonics system).

I'm new to all this (just started reading a few hours ago), but when you say they don't match what do you mean? My soundcard has 100 steps for each channel so if i adjusted those could i make it match?

Would building an 8 channel unit really be impossible?

Thanks

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 14:43 
Project Author

Yes you could but then you would be using another volume attenuator in conjunction with the Lightspeed and that really is redundant and not great for the signal. The signal will already be degraded by the computers attenuator so the Lightspeed will probably not benefit you a lot. If you are sending signal from the computer and using software to attenuate that is a different story and yes your idea would be clumsy to use but would work fine.
Uriah

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 17:01 

i had read that the digital attenuator in a sound card (or any digital attenuators) lower resolution. I'm not sure if that's true.

If it is true it would seem to me that leaving the sound card on full volume (or digital 0) and using an outboard volume control would be the best option.

Does that strike you as true?

Thanks,

Bearcat

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 17:38 

You only need a basic arduino kit, then add a shield to control motors/servo's, then if you are feeling pretty adventurous you can add a display shield to tell you what volume level it is at, but thats all up to you. Anyway you then add the motor to the potentiometer so that by using an infrared emitter and receiver you can control the motor to rotate clockwise or anticlockwise, therefore changing the volume!

Code for controlling motors and adding IR receivers can be found pretty easily on the web.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2010, 19:06 

Thanks for the tips!

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2010, 04:58 

Just a quick word to give you an idea about the integrity and great experience i had dealing with Riguy.
i ordered my full lighter note kit from Riguy about 3 months ago, and had it shipped to a friend in the states, who then forwarded it to me in Beirut, Lebanon. after i opened the kit, i found out that the LDRs were missing, and promptly sent an email to Riguy concerning the issue. his reply was prompt, and he apologized for the mishap, and quickly dispatched another set of matched LDRs to Beirut.
A month later, with no trace of the LDRs, i contacted Riguy again. his reply was just as prompt as the first time and without asking any question, apologized again, and mailed me yet another set.
That last set finally found its way to me, and it contained the whole "LDR mount and balance board" complete with LDRs and components.
That's the kind of integrity and service we rarely see on the web these days. :thumbsup:
Thanks again for the effort Uriah.
I will be posting my build results as soon as i get everything up and running.
Will also be working on a T-amp kit... ouch
Regards
Nicolas

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 14:38 

RiGuy wrote:
Everybody has been asking that. I guess its a demand now. I need to work on that. Will be searching for a solution, but no one has done it to my knowledge. should be easy though.

I have built a few optocoupler volume controls with remote.

http://www.audiophiletalk.com/cgi-bin/y ... 1261343344

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 05:54 

hi

i want to build this lightspeed to balance and remote
where i can find it ?

thank you, best regards

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next