DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Aug 2019, 10:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 19:18 

The idea is being tossed around that there may be enough interest to warrant a group buy of Edcor transformers. 10 pairs of pcbs will be distributed within the next week for the Millett UniAmp. Those 10 builds represent between 70 and 80 transformers in total, depending on whether we build monoblocks or single chassis amps.

While this stems from the UniAmp pcb group buy, it is not limited to those participants. If someone wants in who needs the specific transformers we're buying, then they can use them for whatever they want. That certainly is no problem. But I must stress the fact that this will limit buyers to the choices of transformers we're using for the UniAmp. XPWR011 power transformer with secondaries of 400-0-400@200mA, 6.3V@5A, and 5V@3A. OPTs will be CXPP50-MS-6.6K or CXPP60-MS-6.6K. We are checking the possibility of an Edcor to replace the Sowter 3575 phase splitter. If they have one it will be mounted OFF the pcb as they do not have a pcb mount replacement. They seem to think the PCW10K/10K will work. Also, Edcor is considering the manufacture of chokes, so that isn't out of the question.

Anyway, this is to see what the interest is so we can determine if it will be worthwhile to even organize a group buy.

So please post here if you have a serious need for what we are looking to buy. Please do not ask for the inclusion of something else that is not used with the UniAmp. Buying one or two of something goes against the purpose of a group buy. So stick with the plan.

I have been in touch with Edcor and they have indicated they will work with us on price. How much depends on how many we buy, of course.

I also contacted Transcendar, but got no reply. We're open to other suggestions if there is a better option. It would be nice to get prices from more than one supplier. Having said that, Edcor has been getting lots of good words on forums here and there.

You can browse Edcor's site and see their list prices.

http://www.edcorusa.com/Products/Default.aspx

Thanks, Greg

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 09:59 
Editor

I am in for all iron required and am happy with Edcor.

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 10:28 

Same goes for me, I should say.

I have used Edcor twice and have no complaints.

Having said that, I'm going to contact them again and find out details of how they would handle their end if we buy dozens of pieces from them.

Will they drop ship to each participant directly? I would think so if they are compensated properly and don't lose money. After all, they are a business and they're in it for the profit. They're not looking to give us transformers for the fun of it. It makes good business sense for them to accept a group buy from us and make it agreeable for both sides, in terms of cost.

I'll have to get an idea of lead time, and other things I'm probably forgetting. Anyone have suggestions on what I need to ask?

And just so everyone is aware, a group buy of this magnitude could be a few thousand US dollars(OPTs for 10 of us would be approaching $1400, depending on our discount), so we'll all have to be diligent in paying within a reasonable timeframe to me or whoever controls the purse strings on this.

Later, Greg

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 14:09 

I'll say one thing. Edcor is prompt in their contact with prospective customers. I emailed them with some questions and got a reply in an hour. Not bad for a weekend.

First of all, lead time is currently about 5 weeks from receipt of payment.

OK, here's the deal. Even though this is a group buy, in terms of our purchase from Edcor, they will treat us each as individual customers as far as shipping and billing and collecting payment. They ask that we submit a list of the participants of the group buy, the units and quantities each is buying, their full mailing address, a viable phone number, their email address, and their Paypal address, if different from email address. They will choose the cheapest shipping method for each of us. And at that time they can give us a price for each different unit.

They will submit a Paypal invoice to each person in the GB, so no one will have to bother with collecting money and all that. So, after the needed GB information is supplied to Edcor, each of us will be on his own as to how he handles his business.

I will take on the task of coordinating that information and getting it to Edcor. So that means I need to set a deadline for this thing, and everyone who wants to participate needs to get their fanny perpendicular and get their choices made and post it here in this thread. We will have up to the posted deadline to change our minds about what to buy, or whether to participate at all.

Does May 15th sound OK to everyone for a deadline?

Keep in mind they do not produce your units until payment is made.

Also, is everyone OK with the choices of iron listed below:

Power- XPWR011

OPT- CXPP50-MS-6.6K

If other choices are preferred, speak up.

Still waiting confirmation about whether the PCW10K/10K is a replacement for the Sowter, and whether they can do the chokes.

Later, Greg

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 09:12 
Editor

I am good with that. I'm in no rush, so if need be, you can let the date slide. Please keep us posted on the phase splitter.

Chokes would be nice too, but Hammonds are also readily available for me.

How did you decide on the ratings for the output iron?

Cheers

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 09:40 

Gio,

As far as the OPT ratings, I first mentioned the 6.6K, as it is what Mr. Millett recommends as a good load for the EL34s, 6L6s, and KT88s. All the enclosed frame 6.6K pieces with multiple speaker taps are the same cost, whether it is 45, 50, 60, or 100W. And they all have the 40% tap.

We could go with a CXPP30-MS-5K and save about $10/each.

We could also opt for open frame pieces and save more money. But no multiple taps, no choice of 6.6K, and no ratings above 15W.

Edcor can custom make whatever we want, but then that would add cost.

The choices we make in this GB are up for discussion. I don't want to finalize anything simply on my say-so. I want more interested members to jump in here and help discuss this.

Cheers, Greg

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 19:31 
Editor

Hi Greg, Yeah, I am happy with 6.6k. I was wondering how you settled on 50W as there was no mention on the project page. I just checked the pricing and the 45W, 50W and 60W are all the same price. The 30W may be a little small.

The weight is listed as 7.25lbs for the 45W, 50W and 60W versions. So is it safe to assume that the 45W version is a smaller gauge of wire and therefore has more turns to match the weight?

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 14:16 

You might want to ask Edcor if they have custom made the specific values before...if they have you do not have to pay the $20 design fee.

If they haven't a custom order is only $20 and if you order it again it is waived....I would say it would be worth it ($2 a person) if you can get EXACTLY what you want.
:)

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 14:30 

I'd be interested in an "all iron necessary for the project" option.

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 09:34 

It seems there may be half dozen or so of us interested in buying at least some Edcor iron. Really don't foresee any more interest than has already been stated. My thought presently is to wait a couple more weeks for people to chime in and then see where this will go. So with Edcor's estimated 5 week lead time, we're looking at seven weeks down the road to acquire transformers through this effort. I personally have no problem waiting as I have other projects to work with, plus I can get my boards and chassis ready to finalize when I do get transformers in hand.

If some aren't wanting to wait that long, I certainly understand. So feel free to speak up.

I contacted Edcor twice since the last report, past Monday and again Wednesday, and asked them for more details on the phase splitter so we can be certain it will work with this amp. Also asked about their possible plans to start producing chokes, but received no reply.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next