DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 22:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009, 03:04 
Project Author

How do I order or whatever a pair of uniamp brds. Put me down for two.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009, 04:04 

mwhouston, got you on the list.

Thanks, Greg

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009, 08:48 

Does Edcor have a transformer to take the place of the sowter units? it might be less money for me to use some from them as i am on a limited budget.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009, 10:26 

Endspec,

I know that Edcor can build about anything you want. However, not sure about the small transformer used as the phase splitter. Best thing to do is contact them and see. There is a set-up fee for things they haven't built before.

Cheers, Greg

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009, 10:51 

Ok i will e-mail them with the specs and see if they have or can make one. and I will post the info when i get it.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009, 11:26 

Ok I called Edcor and talked to them and they looked up the info on the Sowter transformer and found two on their site that can work, one is pcb mount and they don't think their pin spacing would mount directly to the board.
The pcb mount http://www.edcorusa.com/Products/ShowPr ... spx?ID=320
This one they said you just wire it in with some lead in wire http://www.edcorusa.com/Products/ShowPr ... spx?ID=287
and for the price I think I would go with them.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009, 12:41 
Editor

Thanks for the heads-up Steven as I will need these too.

Greg, what were you planning on using?

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009, 15:06 

Hey guys, Edcor is fine with me. I have no problem mounting that phase splitter off the board. I may use all Edcor, as I have used them for one SE build and one push pull amp refurb. No complaints from me. They seem to be quality pieces and a true bargain. My "all Sowter" idea is going by the board after checking their prices in US $$.

By the way, 4 pair of boards left. Uncle Erik on Head-Fi just got in.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009, 15:46 

Bluesman I am interested in a pair but it will be about two weeks or so for me to get the money in my hands, Is that cool with you?
Steven A.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009, 17:48 

Endspec, The money is not an issue. I won't have the boards in hand for some time anyway.

Imagineering, Inc.(pcbnet.com) has confirmed they will be done before the originally quoted 3 week lead time, but they didn't mention a date for certain. Honestly, I expect them soon. It doesn't take long to make a small batch of boards.

Maybe Edcor will give us a price break if we get together for a number of pieces. I was erroneous before when I said we all will need 5 or 6 transformers, depending on whether we build monoblocks or a single chassis; it is actually 7 or 8. 1 or 2 power transformers, 2 chokes, 2 OPTs, and the 2 phase splitters.

Can't really say how they compare to the Edcors(or others) in terms of sound quality, but I used Transcendar OPTs in my SE KT88 build. They are considered a pretty nice bargain on some of the other DIY forums. So I emailed them to see if they could make us a replacement for the Sowter, and mentioned that maybe we could look to buy more of our other transformers if they would offer a price break. I'll let everyone know if I get a response from them.

Cheers, Greg

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next