DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 23:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The DIY Speaker Cables !
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 02:57 

Hi Guys,

This is my first post here :P !! Am a very old visitor to this site but never thought of registering or posting anything ;) ! anyway now I have and here's my Effort !

Here's the Speaker Cable that I did for my friend,this time I wanted to try something different and bit economical (he insisted ) so I only used a pair of wire per channel ( as opposed to 3 or 6 that I usually do!) these are 16 gauge pure oxygen free copper wire.

I've used double shielding this time for various reasons. first I've used the heat shrink tube for primary shielding for Airlocking the Cable and reducing the capacitance and inductance of the cable.Second an Nylon Braiding type shield to further reinforce the primary shielding and Avoid static,dust and a bit heat.

We compared the Cable with branded(will not name) cable that I had loaned him for time(until I gave him this).The sound stage was very wide and expensive with the newly made cable and the mids and highs we very open and sweet,the bass was full bodied and deep.

We played Enya latest Album and Nana Mosukori both imported Cds.

Here's the Pics of this Cable.

Please Please do post your comments and feedbacks (anything positive or negative doesn't matter) as this is why I do these things and this is one of the opportunity to correct myself of any mistakes done !!

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 07:33 
Editor

Hi soundsgreat,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your build.

Nice, simple and clean. The TechFlex makes for a professional finish. I assume that those banana plugs only hold the wire with screws. The only thing I would do different is use a banana plug that you could solder the wire too. This way there would be no chance of a poor connection.

Depending on the speakers you are using, sometimes a single thin wire works better than a low gauge wire.

Cheers

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 13:08 

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the welcome and for your feedback :) !! Indeed the wires are secured by the screws !! the reason for using that is,Here in india its damn tough to get a good Banana plug let alone solderable !! the one that are available is also very very expensive for an average Indian like me ,So not much of a choice ! I sometimes Envy you guys from West ;) ! you have all the access for the right supply ! anyway thats that !

Once again thanks a lot for the comments !

Regards.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 17:16 
Project Author

They look nice! I love that braided stuff and then to use a bit of shrink to bind the braided stuff near the plugs looks nice.
However, they dont look half as nice as your Tower Speaker build!! That is really fantastic.
Ri

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2008, 00:06 
Editor

Spades are a good choice too and some can be very inexpensive.

soundsgreat wrote:
Here in india its damn tough to get a good Banana plug let alone solderable !! the one that are available is also very very expensive for an average Indian like me ,So not much of a choice ! I sometimes Envy you guys from West ;)

I don't know if you are allowed to envy a continent because they have better banana plugs! ;)

A lot of times I buy some interesting parts from China that you cannot find here and they are typically very well priced. Take a look on eBay.

Cheers

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2008, 04:24 

gmilitano wrote:
Spades are a good choice too and some can be very inexpensive.

I don't know if you are allowed to envy a continent because they have better banana plugs! ;)

A lot of times I buy some interesting parts from China that you cannot find here and they are typically very well priced. Take a look on eBay.

well thats very true ! :mrgreen:

The thing is here in india its double tough getting anything related to Audio at a fair price !! even the spades ! a good one is only available from QED or Monster !! thats S***** expansive !

The china route for Us strangly is not cheap or simple either !! tried Ebay and got tired ! the shipping will kill me even with chinese ebay suppliers !!

Anyway thanks a ton for the feedback and response !!

Regards.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2008, 23:58 

Those look very professional. :up: I do have a couple of questions. What is the black braided sleeve that you have used? It makes for a very nice finish. Also, I don't understand why you have covered the already insulated wire with heat shrink wrapping. Is that necessary?

Thank you for sharing this.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2008, 04:23 

Hi,

First of all thanks for the comments :) !! its always a pleasure to share stuff with like minded folks ;) !

Now coming to your questions !

That is nylon braid thats used for various purposes ! I've used it for looks and also to reinforce the primary shielding ! The reason for using the heatshrink sleeve is to make sort of vacuum and restrict the airflow to the conductor ! though it has already got the oxygen free treatment,this will help to cut the oxygen entry completely (well almost) ! Also with the usage of this and the twisted pair geometry the Capacitance and Inductance are kept to a bare minimum ! which most important factor in any speaker cable !!

Hope this answers your questions !

Regards.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2008, 17:57 

Thanks, but where can I buy that braided sleeve cover?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008, 02:44 

Hi,

Buddy its very very easy for you to get those !! you are in US ;) !

Anyway here's the link,they have every damn thing that one needs ! heatshrink tubes,nylon braids etc etc etc the list goes on !!

http://www.buyheatshrink.com/index.htm

Hope this helps !!

Regards.