DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 03:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 19:08 
Project Author

yes to everything. It will kill even the likes of the Khozmo and other high end pots.
You are right. Just order the kit, buy a pot and wire up a lm317.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 19:42 

thanks riguy!
looking forward to get this project started!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 01:37 

Well, I just finished the attenuator with thanks to Uriah for the board, and LDR's. Had a bit of an issue at the start of music testing. I forgot to ground the shunt resistor. Ooops. No big deal though. It works incredible now.

I had never really known what the volume pots were doing to the music before trying this lightspeed attenuator. Now I know. Never again will you spoil my music, inferior attenuator.

My precious........

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 23:27 

What are the parameters THD+N?

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 07:42 

Can the lightspeed attenuator be fed with a 4th generation ipod? I'm concerned with impedance issues.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 15:49 

StephenB wrote:
Can the lightspeed attenuator be fed with a 4th generation ipod? I'm concerned with impedance issues.

Should be easy to do with a line out docking (LOD) cable. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Line-Out-Au ... 360&sr=8-8

should do it. Or you can DIY if you feel like it. Some info on it is here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/499986/diy-ipod-lod-cables

Looks to be pretty simple to make, actually. And you can go crazy and get 24 or 30 awg fine silver wire if you wanted. :-)

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 15:55 

All, I bought a Lighter Note kit from Uriah Daily a while ago. Have completed soldering the main board so far. Next steps are to solder the volume and trim pots and a few tests before power is applied. Will someone clarify the testing steps for me? Have reread the document a few times, but the test instructions are not 100% clear. Otherwise, its a good doc and kudos to Uriah for putting it and the kit together.

Thanks,
Philippe

PostPosted: 16 May 2012, 07:49 

Hi All,

For so many night I was thinking and dreaming to get Lightspeed Passive Attenuator kits. :bawling: Because I believe the passive preamp is the best way to get the pure sound fro my system. After read the the thread about the concept (but still confuse) :confused: how can it working. I was go to http://sound.westhost.com/project53.htm . And thinking I can make my own optocouplers.

So, just go to local store today. And ask them about LDR, but they can't talk about the value. Just checked it with Multimeter and found the value is 1200k. And checked it one by one with 10% tolerance. And finally found 8 LDR :P . And by 8 Yellow LED. Put it on my old satellite cable for tubing.

And Guest what !? The result is beyond my expectation. I wanna to say You're Rock George!!!!
When I write this, I try it using with my laptop as player and my mini class D Amp. The sound was improved with no clip and harsh anymore. Believe it or not :smoking: . I try to play several songs which has too many harsh and clip before. And Lightspeed Passive Attenuator was reduced it much more. I just using 18 Volt battery as source.

Can't wait to try it using my TDA2050 Amp in my living room. :D . And the next time, I think must to make several more to changed all my craps potentio :up: .

I will upload the pic from home tonight. And then, just wanna say many many thanks for you George Stantscheff ( for your genuine concept. :beerchug: ( I hope you can understand my English) :P

Warm Regards,

Salam,
Arie

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 14:07 

Hi All,

Tonight I was taken a pic. After several test in my home. Try to connect it through analog output from my cheap cd player and my Pioneer CDP, I think the sound was improved, but like my expectation. And then I try to connect it through my Mini DAC PCM1793 from QLS with OPA2134 opamp. Sound is good but, too digitally I think. :sing: . And then I try to remove the OPA2134 and connect it directly to Lightspeed Attenuator. The sound is purest. Like my expectation. The detail and wide is same like OPA2134 in my ear, but is it very clean.

So, I still curious, how can high it's can go :D . And then i try to make Lightspeed Attenuator Mk II. And try to make two stage pre-amp. DAC PCM1793 -> Lightspeed Attenuator -> Lightspeed Attenuator Mk II :wizard: .

It's Magical !!! The sounds is more warm, wide and detail. And tonight, I decide to make DAC Lightspeed Attenuator base from QLS Mini DAC PCM1793 . :smoking: .

My schematic
The Original schematic
Lightspeed Attenuator Mk II as second stage
My DIY Optocouplers

Next time I put it on the casing for finishing touch.
:beerchug:

Salam,
Arie

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 12:25 

Finally, I put it in casing. Using my old M7 preamp casing. I decide to using only Lightspeed Attenuator Mk II.

Salam,
Arie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next