DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Jan 2018, 08:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hana EL phono cartridge
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2016, 21:31 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, I recently got one of the newly released Hana cartridges. They are available from a number of sources now. Two types, high output (2mv) and low output (0.2mv). Two stylus types elliptical and Shibita. All are essentially the same construction and similar specs. I got the EL or elliptical low output one. Not too pricey as cartridges go at $475US (the SH and SL are $750) considering the current state of audio gear. I have mine feeding a pair of Lundahl 9226 step up transformers into my fifth generation Groove preamp. It resides in an Origin Live arm on my Empire 598. 1 to 10 step up with 400 ohm loading (factory recommended value) on the cartridge. Even right out of the box it was good. After a number of hours really a great buy in that price range. Very clean well rounded sound, excellent tracking and a slightly warm overall presentation. Not as warm as the Grados, but not as bright as the Denon and Benz Micro (both mentioned below). Easy and non-fatiguing to listen to. I like it so much that it is my second choice now. It can't compete with the Dyna Vector Karat 23RS-MR I have, few can and it retails for a whole lot less. Still I like it better than the AT33PTG/II (third best), Benz Micro MC Gold, Denon DL 110, Om 30, and Grado Woodie I have. To find out more check it out on line. The company that makes them is the OEM supplier for many other brands and they thought they would put one out as they had all the parts in house and could do it better and less expensive. Seems like a winner to me. The EH version was subject of a recent thread on another site and well liked too.

For those curious about the rest of my main system it consists of a modified (and digitially controlled) Forewatt line stage, a pair of upgraded KT120 Oddblock power amps and Martin Logan electrostatics. On rare occasions I add in a pair of 30 cm subs in 200 ltr boxes with a pair of SS (gads what is the world coming to) sub amps to handle chores below 40HZ. There is also an OPPO SE version Blue Ray, an Akai reel to reel and a Nakamichi cassette. The main turntable is a custom diy Dual 701 with Jelco arm.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2016, 06:35 
Project Author

I read about the cart. it good an excellent review. What is your VTF?

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2016, 08:45 
Project Author

Hi Mark, I'm using 2 grams. Anti-skating (on a Jelco 370S) is set at 1.8. Right now it is feeding a pair of Softone PLT-1 SUTs. These are available directly from Japan. I was put on to them by another vinyl addict. They are inexpensive ($72US each with $40 for DHL express shipping for a pair). Amazing SUTs. They are at least equal the Silk Audio ones I have and are better than the both types of Lundahls I have (1678 and 9226). Easy to use and a bit less sensitive to hum pick up than most.

With about 25 hours on the cartridge it is still not broken in acording to most sources, but still sounds much the same as new. That's good as it is quite excellent. I beats out everthing else I have now except the DV Karat23RS-MR (no surprise there). Even better than the AT33PTG/II. Clean sounding, low groove noise and just all around nice to listen to. A really good buy IMO in that price range.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2016, 16:21 
Project Author

2gms is fine. I track my Ortonfon Rondo Blues at 2. And as you say the price is good. Also the SUTs sound cheap. I use a three different MC pre-preamps (two based on Boozhound labs schematics) amd roll them in and out which only takes seconds.

As I may have stated I tried a supposedly good Denon SUT but found it flat. My "Tengu" MC stage with the Audio Note silver paper and oil caps has lots of sparkle both on my cart and a friends Koetsu Gold. But I have thought of a better SUT just for comparison.

I would say 100hour breakin for your new cart.