DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 05:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 18:47 
Project Author

With the Digi board both the digital and optical outputs are working at the sametime. So you could have two DACs connected at the same time.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2017, 08:33 

mwhouston wrote:
With my digi Pi I use the optical connection to a cheap digital to RCA converter. With another Pi I have in a steel encsloure (only for Pi2s with external wifi dongles) I use the HDMI interface to another inexpensive HDMI audio extractor. Both are well under $100. Both sound extremely good.

When you lookup the specs on the chips used on the two DAC extractors above you realise that these are really highend devices sold to the low end market. The chip specs in both are off the chart. I guess it is easy to produce high end chips these days.

What I'm getting at here is you could use the HDMI interface from the Pi and pass it through the extractor. I sounds great and plays upto 24/192. The extractor is powered by the HDMI interface so no additional PS required. Further more mine has an audio booster. By adding an external wall wart PS and flicking a small switch mine will boost the audio signal out. I don't need it and enjoy the fact I don't need an additional PS.

What's more, yes there is more, the extractor has a HDMI pass through. That means I could still plug it into another HDMI device. Also the extractor is in a hard metal encsloure and is quite weighty. Dead cheap also.

This extractor sounds very interesting, does it have a name ? do you have a link to more about it ? it's very much appreciated info given, thanks.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2017, 08:35 

mwhouston wrote:
With the Digi board both the digital and optical outputs are working at the sametime. So you could have two DACs connected at the same time.

Exactly what i need, for comparison use ...thanks !

mwhouston wrote:
With my digi Pi I use the optical connection to a cheap digital to RCA converter. With another Pi I have in a steel encsloure (only for Pi2s with external wifi dongles) I use the HDMI interface to another inexpensive HDMI audio extractor. Both are well under $100. Both sound extremely good.

When you lookup the specs on the chips used on the two DAC extractors above you realise that these are really highend devices sold to the low end market. The chip specs in both are off the chart. I guess it is easy to produce high end chips these days.

What I'm getting at here is you could use the HDMI interface from the Pi and pass it through the extractor. I sounds great and plays upto 24/192. The extractor is powered by the HDMI interface so no additional PS required. Further more mine has an audio booster. By adding an external wall wart PS and flicking a small switch mine will boost the audio signal out. I don't need it and enjoy the fact I don't need an additional PS.

What's more, yes there is more, the extractor has a HDMI pass through. That means I could still plug it into another HDMI device. Also the extractor is in a hard metal encsloure and is quite weighty. Dead cheap also.

This extractor sounds very interesting, does it have a name ? do you have a link to more about it ? it's very much appreciated info given, thanks.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2017, 18:32 
Project Author

http://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/ave ... Kgod7ysEsA

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/2821381 ... noapp=true

https://www.jaycar.com.au/hdmi-audio-extractor/p/AC1741

The Jaycar one is the one I use because I work there. Can't vouch for the others.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 19:10 

the hifiberry digi+ for m pi 2, arrived yesterday ....wauuw, this is the fastest delivery i've ever seen, from one country to another. so today i've tried both rune audio and volumio. easy installed on two sd cards and i were ready for comparison. tried both programs from my pc browser and the hifiberry digi+ could be seen and chosen from both, but i could not get connection to my nad m51 ...i was very confused, after trying for hours without results. finally i was thinking, maybe if i'm lucky my favorite program 'openelec xbmc kodi' ver. 6, would match up with my nad m51 and it could, success. only problem in ver. 6 is that it have a bad habit of forgetting the hifiberry digi card after restart, so i tried to install ver. 7 instead and it seems to work great without forgetting. for remote i'm using a very simple android app for my smartphone named 'xbmc spooky' ...it can't be more simple than this and it works great together.

also both rune audio and volumio would not interfere with my nas server, which kodi don't have a problem with.

so finally when thinking of big disapointment from start with rune and volumio, i now can't get my hands down again after the success with xbmc kodi, all in all a good result. so would i suggest 'openelec xbmc kodi' for others (?) ...oh yes, definitely i would :-)

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 20:11 
Project Author

I refuse to install any apps on my smart phone as a remote for Rune or Volum. For me it's just the Browser and nothing else. Also as I said when one OS on your Pi will not talk to your DAC generally the other will.

Good to hear you are up and going. I love my Pi3USB I2S AK4495+XMOS DIY DAC and just can't stop listening to it. Compact, dedicated cheap music serversstreamers are the way to go and future proof.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 20:33 

i want to thank you for all inputs. i don't think i would have started up again from when i dumped the idea with the pi 2b as a hifi source. it's more than a year ago i did that. then i saw this thread and i was curious ...so thanks to you and gio, i don't think i would had tried a second time. the digi + is absolutely the right choice for me.

nice to hear you're satisfied with you're AK4495+XMOS diy dac ...i do also have a diy dac, which will come back to life again, now when i've got the hifiberry digi+ . still the nad m51 is my favorite, but it should also be, considering the price.

this is my diy dac nr. 2 http://www.ebay.com/itm/141246988363?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT , it's much better than my former cambridge dac, but i also make some mod's to this diy dac. better op-amp's, wiring of ground and psu

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 21:02 
Project Author

Mine will do upto DSD64 with the current setup. Just love the sound.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2017, 09:25 

first problem has arrived :down: the hifiberry digi+ onboard rca output plug has a bad connection ...i have to push and pull the plug on the cable to find a special spot, where it gets contact. i guess i won't send it back, instead i will find out if it's a bad soldering or maybe the cheap plug mounted on the board. i know it's not the cable because i've tried three different cables ...all with same result, bad connection.

anyway it's better sound quality when using the coax rca output than using hdmi ...i've done some listening tests for comparison. i think it has something to do with the galvanic isolation of the output on the digi+ board. this solution just have to do with the improved better sound quality. :wizard:

the pi pig is now ready to be hidden away behind the dac. note i'm using an old small 'creditcard size' sony xperia mini from the junk box for remote. sorry about the bad picture, the light was bad and i didn't want to add flash.

next coming up, a small docking station for the remote ( for charging ) to be placed on the coffee table in my livingroom.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2017, 15:42 
Project Author

I use my Windows Lumia 550 phone with 4.7" screen and browser for control. The screen size is big enough to be used easily but no so big it is cumbersome. In fact I would rather use the Lumia than my iPad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next