DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 05:22

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 22:08 
Offline
Project Author
User avatar

Joined: 06 Jun 2008, 18:23
Posts: 4800
Location: Australia
No comparison but my AK4495+XMOS DIY DAC uses I2S and does DSD and sounds really excellent.

_________________
Projects: "Sanctum" - 12AU7 and 6AS7 direct coupled headphone amp | "retro-Oatley 6J6" - 6J6 push-pull headphone amp with OPTs | "Mimic Carbon" - carbon resistors and PIO caps. MM phono preamp
Website: retro-thermionic


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2017, 16:13 
Offline
Editor
User avatar

Joined: 28 May 2008, 21:53
Posts: 4515
Location: Winnipeg, CANADA
Befreediy wrote:
(a) There seems to be a strong motivation to use I2S versus USB Dacs (no interference on USB if you use I2S)
(b) DACMagic might be outdated (they use Wolfson WMB8740 24-bit DAC)

Has anyone tried to compare USB DAC versus these I2S DAC's, and specifically compared with Cambrdige DACMagic? Any quality difference?

I have not done any comparisons. I think the issue has more to do with the hardware on the computer end. From what I understand, the network and USB controllers on the Raspberry Pi share the same interface and the I2S is an improvement in that regard. However, with my DacMagic+ I've always had good performance via USB from both a laptop and a RPi3.

Were you looking at a specific I2S to add to the Pi?

Cheers

_________________
[ DIY Mains AC Power Cable Cord ] - [ Gobo LM1875 Amp Kit ] - [ Tang Band D4-1 Horn Speaker Kit ] - [ Monoblock Push-Pull KT88 Tube Amp Kit ]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 10:57 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2008, 15:34
Posts: 441
Location: Denmark
hi guys

i want the best, so if i want to use my rpi 2b connected to my nad m51 ( s/pdif rca cable ), which unit do i have to buy/use (?) the reason why i want to use s/pdif rca cable is that i also have a diy dac, which is only possible to connect via s/pdif rca cable.

rpi 2b > (?) > NAD M51 > Amp > LS

maybe the solution is here, but which one ? https://volumio.org/raspberry-pi-i2s-da ... s-so-good/

...or could hifiberry digi + pro be the right solution (?)
https://www.hifiberry.com/products/digiplus

this guy hans beekhuyzen sound very interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmeUxk14vCc


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 14:10 
Offline
Project Author
User avatar

Joined: 06 Jun 2008, 18:23
Posts: 4800
Location: Australia
KrammeAcoustics wrote:
hi guys

i want the best, so if i want to use my rpi 2b connected to my nad m51 ( s/pdif rca cable ), which unit do i have to buy/use (?) the reason why i want to use s/pdif rca cable is that i also have a diy dac, which is only possible to connect via s/pdif rca cable.

rpi 2b > (?) > NAD M51 > Amp > LS

maybe the solution is here, but which one ? https://volumio.org/raspberry-pi-i2s-da ... s-so-good/

...or could hifiberry digi + pro be the right solution (?)
https://www.hifiberry.com/products/digiplus

this guy hans beekhuyzen sound very interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmeUxk14vCc


I have the HifiBerry digi + daughter board on one Pi 2b. Both optical and digital outputs. Should do the job upto 24/192 and cheap.

_________________
Projects: "Sanctum" - 12AU7 and 6AS7 direct coupled headphone amp | "retro-Oatley 6J6" - 6J6 push-pull headphone amp with OPTs | "Mimic Carbon" - carbon resistors and PIO caps. MM phono preamp
Website: retro-thermionic


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 14:15 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2008, 15:34
Posts: 441
Location: Denmark
mwhouston wrote:
I have the HifiBerry digi + daughter board on one Pi 2b. Both optical and digital outputs. Should do the job upto 24/192 and cheap.


Okay thanks, could you please specify the 'daughter board' ? what is it, a third board ?

I really like the idea of galvanic isolation on the digi + pro board ( output transformer )

If i'm right it seems that i order this https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/h ... -digi-pro/ and insert it between the rpi 2b and m51 dac + make some changes in the config.txt file of the rpi os concerning the digi + board and i'm ready to listen streaming music from my iomega nas.


Last edited by KrammeAcoustics on 23 Jan 2017, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 14:30 
Offline
Project Author
User avatar

Joined: 06 Jun 2008, 18:23
Posts: 4800
Location: Australia
KrammeAcoustics wrote:
mwhouston wrote:
I have the HifiBerry digi + daughter board on one Pi 2b. Both optical and digital outputs. Should do the job upto 24/192 and cheap.


Okay thanks, could you please specify the 'daughter board' ? what is it ?

I really like the idea of galvanic seperation on the digi + pro board

If i'm right it seems that i order this https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/h ... -digi-pro/ and insert it between the rpi 2b and m51 dac + make some changes in the config.txt file of the rpi os concerning the digi + board and i'm ready to listen music.


Daughter boards generally sit atop main boards. This is the case here. You simply plug the Digi board onto the Pi2. Power is feed from the PI to the Digi board. No need to do any hacking the Volumio or Rune will see the brd. and give you a choice of outputs. Just use a 5V PS to the PI which can provide a few amps.

I have four Pis all with different DACaudio outputs. Some times Rune will support the daghter brd. and other times Volumio. You may have to try both. I have a rule - no OS hacking. Of it can't be selected from the popup menus in Vol. or Rune then I can't use it.

So far my for different interfaces have all been supported. Volumio seems the most flexible but Rune is a better OS.

_________________
Projects: "Sanctum" - 12AU7 and 6AS7 direct coupled headphone amp | "retro-Oatley 6J6" - 6J6 push-pull headphone amp with OPTs | "Mimic Carbon" - carbon resistors and PIO caps. MM phono preamp
Website: retro-thermionic


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 14:38 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2008, 15:34
Posts: 441
Location: Denmark
mwhouston wrote:
Daughter boards generally sit atop main boards. This is the case here. You simply plug the Digi board onto the Pi2. Power is feed from the PI to the Digi board. No need to do any hacking the Volumio or Rune will see the brd. and give you a choice of outputs. Just use a 5V PS to the PI which can provide a few amps.

I have four Pis all with different DACaudio outputs. Some times Rune will support the daghter brd. and other times Volumio. You may have to try both. I have a rule - no OS hacking. Of it can't be selected from the popup menus in Vol. or Rune then I can't use it.

So far my for different interfaces have all been supported. Volumio seems the most flexible but Rune is a better OS.


Okay concerning the daughter thing. Thanks for quick responding, i'll order the digi + pro right away :up: do i need more you think ?

Rune vs. Volumio, i've already seen several videos on the tube and i can see there's pro's & con's to both.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 14:48 
Offline
Project Author
User avatar

Joined: 06 Jun 2008, 18:23
Posts: 4800
Location: Australia
Don't forget this only outputs a vitiate signal. Your DAC requires either optical or digital inout.

The HifiBerry DAC+ daughter brd. is ok for ocassions listening but not for long term hard core listening. The Digi brd. will allow you to swap out DACs. Actually the Digi brd. may do DSD. I might be confusing it with the DAC+ brd.

The latest Vol is something like V2.04. Rune is still in beta but has some nicer features. Try Vol first. It's all free.

_________________
Projects: "Sanctum" - 12AU7 and 6AS7 direct coupled headphone amp | "retro-Oatley 6J6" - 6J6 push-pull headphone amp with OPTs | "Mimic Carbon" - carbon resistors and PIO caps. MM phono preamp
Website: retro-thermionic


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 15:47 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2008, 15:34
Posts: 441
Location: Denmark
mwhouston wrote:
Don't forget this only outputs a vitiate signal. Your DAC requires either optical or digital inout.

The HifiBerry DAC+ daughter brd. is ok for ocassions listening but not for long term hard core listening. The Digi brd. will allow you to swap out DACs. Actually the Digi brd. may do DSD. I might be confusing it with the DAC+ brd.

Had you tried to connect both coax and optical output of the digi +, at the same time, without problems ?

The latest Vol is something like V2.04. Rune is still in beta but has some nicer features. Try Vol first. It's all free.


My NAD M51 DAC has everything when it comes to input, so no problem there. Sometimes i find it frustrating, i would rather have two or three coax inputs, instead of AES/EBU, HDMI1, HDMI2, USB and Optical inputs. Obviously NAD had an intention of serving all kinds of known different types. The HDMI input sucks, it should handle a monitor/videosignal to go through, but unfortunately it will change the originally resolution of the monitor, so it's useless. :| When this is said it's an okay DAC, with a nice pre amp build in. It's a 10'er in comparison with the Cambridge DAC i had before, which didn't do the job in my ears :down:

Is it possible to connect both the optical and coax output at the same time, without problems ?

Thanks for mentioning both Rune and Volumio software, i'll try to download it :up:

The Digi + pro is now ordered ( 47 Euro with shipping cost included, send from Switzerland ) :beerchug:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 18:42 
Offline
Project Author
User avatar

Joined: 06 Jun 2008, 18:23
Posts: 4800
Location: Australia
With my digi Pi I use the optical connection to a cheap digital to RCA converter. With another Pi I have in a steel encsloure (only for Pi2s with external wifi dongles) I use the HDMI interface to another inexpensive HDMI audio extractor. Both are well under $100. Both sound extremely good.

When you lookup the specs on the chips used on the two DAC extractors above you realise that these are really highend devices sold to the low end market. The chip specs in both are off the chart. I guess it is easy to produce high end chips these days.

What I'm getting at here is you could use the HDMI interface from the Pi and pass it through the extractor. I sounds great and plays upto 24/192. The extractor is powered by the HDMI interface so no additional PS required. Further more mine has an audio booster. By adding an external wall wart PS and flicking a small switch mine will boost the audio signal out. I don't need it and enjoy the fact I don't need an additional PS.

What's more, yes there is more, the extractor has a HDMI pass through. That means I could still plug it into another HDMI device. Also the extractor is in a hard metal encsloure and is quite weighty. Dead cheap also.

_________________
Projects: "Sanctum" - 12AU7 and 6AS7 direct coupled headphone amp | "retro-Oatley 6J6" - 6J6 push-pull headphone amp with OPTs | "Mimic Carbon" - carbon resistors and PIO caps. MM phono preamp
Website: retro-thermionic


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
DIY Tube Projects :: DIY Tube Amp Kits :: DIY Speaker Projects :: DIY Solid State Projects :: DIY IC / Op-amp Projects :: DIY Phono Projects :: DIY Cable Projects :: Hi-Fi Audio Schematics
© diyAudioProjects.com - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy