DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 19:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2016, 14:07 

Hey laurie54,

thank you so much. I'll dig into the stepper motors story, always eager to learn new things. :)

And yes, the idea is to spin it both ways so all areas of the grooves are dealt with. It is a bit like with a rock in a stream, the side that is facing the stream is constantly clean, the one on the opposite side rather not being in the shadow of itself. So to speak... if you understand what I mean... :)

Cheers,

Erik

- build some bass traps and damping board to improve room accoustics

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2016, 16:54 

Yes i do understand. Cool and makes sense. Have you looked into or are you thinking of adding in a negative ion generator to cancel out the positive ion infusion induced when taking the record out of it's bag? I think the Zero-stat gun is still being sold by some for that reason. It would make a useful addition also if you can find an ion generator for room dust and partial reduction then mod it. I have seen lots over the years at garage sales etc. Add some high voltage signs etc to help keep fingers off and eyes wide. What kind of vacuum will you use? I have a friend who installed an industrial hood vent fan over his stove not knowing that on high it is capable of sucking a steak off the pan, chewing it up, and spitting it at the neighbors house next door. Scary contraption! So be forewarned.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 08:10 

Sorry Laurie,
But it is not a stepper motor. It is just a simple brushless DC motor. The drive system does however look like an H-Bridge, but it is not.
Erik, download the service manual to the Sony PS-LX20 turntable. The drives are not quite identical but they are close enough. It looks like there is two distinct coil sets that need to be reversed. One wire from the motor of each coil should be ground, the other wire should go to a pair of drive transistors. Reversing these should reverse the motor. Make sure you have the correct pair of wires or the motor or drive will be damaged.
I tend to agree with Geek, the circuit doesn't look like it's going to provide enough torque. The parts are low current, low voltage, which means low power.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2016, 13:43 

Hello everyone,

sorry for the late reply. I was a tiny bit busy lately.

@Geek and blackdog: you are unfortunately right. The torque seem to be quite low. I'll have a test run today but am not very convinced. Now I am considering the alternative of simply buying a high torque dc motor with 30rpm from ebay (with a loading torque of 15kg/cm2) and a transformer 120 V to 12 V 3Amp. I hope that should fix the problem.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,

Erik

- build some bass traps and damping board to improve room accoustics

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 17:49 

Oki Doki. Thanks for clearing it up Blackdog. Sounds like the problem is being cleared up in one respect but another (torx) is rearing it's head. This is a unique subject so i am reading to the final outcome.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2017, 13:10 

Hi Erik, Once you find a suitable electric motor for your record cleaner, please provide the model or Ebay link. I would like to know for my diy record cleaner. Also, please post pictures of your completed record cleaner.