DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 05 Apr 2020, 19:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Empire 598
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2015, 21:15 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, My latest project. A 1970's Empire turntable. I got it without and arm. I had a spare arm that I wanted to use. Not as simple as it sounded though. The OEM arm was 9 inches effective length and the one I had was 9.4 oops. Well it too a bit of metal work and some fabrication but all is well. The suspended chassis for the platter (all 7 pounds of it) and the arm was most of the difficulty. A slightly elongation of the hole on the top chassis was also needed. I had to remove the OEM arm rest as well. Now a level bubble in the hole (the photo shows it on top initially). These are great turntables....built like a battleship. Motor big enough to run a food blender. The case was worn, but not excessively so and I may just leave it alone. Plays great. I learned a lot about early USA made turntables with this one.

BTW the new arm isn't crooked, it is the camera angle only.

Good listening
Bruce
Attachment:
Empire1.jpg
Attachment:
Empire 5.jpg
Attachment:
Empire 4a.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post subject: Re: Empire 598
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 04:53 

Those are neat! :D

The right people will pay crazy $ for them as well.

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 08:39 
Project Author

Looks sturdy.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2015, 20:26 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, An updated photo. I managed to get the original arm rest back on. I had to slightly bend the rest part to accept the fatter arm. I was hesitant to do that as it is 40 year old brass....but it didn't snap so all is well. Now I'm waiting for the special bulb that goes inside it. Then I can use the built in movable mirror (inside the rest) to illuminate the stylus as you place it on the LP. Everything on the turntable is industrial strength and designed to last forever. Works and sounds great.

Good listening
Bruce
Attachment:
598 with arm rest.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2015, 21:19 

Looking great! :D

You didn't go LED :confused:

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2015, 21:52 
Project Author

Hi, I thought about it, but since there is no DC in the turntable and the only voltage available is 120VAC it kind of limited what was sensible. I didn't want to put a new power supply inside because of concerns for noise and hum. It is really really quiet now. A test LP on a scope indicated that it was in the -70db range below 200HZ and better than -80 above that. Since the best of quiet LPs are usually in the minus 60-65db range I figured a new PS inside would be likely to make some sort of EMI/noise/hum. The bulb is an odd one ... a bi-pin 120 volt 3 watt one. Pretty easy to find fortunately. It worked for them...so I'll let it work for me.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2015, 03:09 

Makes sense.

BTW, what's the doodad on the left attached to the plinth?

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2015, 17:04 
Project Author

Hi, It is a brush. Several brands exist. I believe this one was from Esoteric Turntables (a Rekokut dealer). Cheap under $20US normally. Generally OK, but can be a bit of an issue to set right. It is supposed to also bleed off static via an attached ground wire (I'm rather dubious of that though). I had to add the gray riser to it as the Empire platter sits rather high off the plinth. If you don't live in a really dusty area like I do the value is probably small. A good dust brush would probably be sufficient.

Good listening
Bruce