DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 03:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 18:08 

I'm in the cable makeup stage. I want to be able to play my iPod through a tube amp inorder to introduce bandmates to possible tunes to cover. My current band room set up has a pair of Altec 1567a preamp/mixers and a pair of 1568a amps. Are there any mods to make this work, I have a variety of Altec transformers to try, the mixer is currently loaded with 4722's.

The question is are there any mods required to play an iPod through a tube amp? My current stereo in the same room has an unused ceramic phono inputs. The AUX has a CD and the tape and phono inputs are being used. I could use this if it would yield better results.

Any suggestion for the best results, I'd rather not make permanent mods since its never going to be a primary input source except in my car.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 19:25 
Project Author

Just plug it into the CD or Aux input and let her rips.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2016, 05:28 

I have built two tube amps where I have installed iPod docking stations. I simply picked the signals from the built in phono connector and ran them into the amps through a selector switch. Unfortunately I haven't gotten that far as to fins a way to charge the iPod through the docking station.
Pics are for illustration only.

Attachment:
5998A-113.jpg

Attachment:
ipod-03.jpg

A - is where I drilled a hole through the dockings tation and into the amp chassis. B, C, D are two channels and gnd.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 13:49 

Ideal ... take the line level output from the 30-pin connector on the bottom of the iPod.

Adequate ... take the headphone amplifier's output from the 3.5mm stereo phone connector on the top of the iPod..

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 15:47 

Have to check that up - what pins of the 30 are used to send music.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017, 00:04 

I have it somewhere but probably on a backup drive I would have to search to find.

However, I didn't find it difficult to get the pinouts via a Google search. Not sure why I have to say it, but give that a try. Perhaps much easier, you can easily purchase cables with a 30-pin to dual RCA configuration, done for you at little cost. Some will also have a power connector for charging also.

If nothing else, it's an easy way to do a continuity check to read the pinouts directly if you want to build your own cables.

I even have some blank 30 pin connectors somewhere; PM me and I'll get one out to you if you cover my cost.

The iPod's line out is standard as far as specifications go; appropriate output impedance for a line level device and about 750mV for full output. It should pose no problems for any modern and many primitive amplifiers, Solid State or Vacuum State. Some British audio (eg QUAD) will have a 500mV input sensitivity, but that is generally rare in anything made elsewhere.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017, 06:35 

Thanks for you kind offer!
Found the pinout andf I have some more docking stations to use.

―Lewis Carroll