DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Sep 2019, 13:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2008, 17:45 
Project Author

RiGuy wrote:
I know there are tweaks. Right now it sounds so good that I am focusing on other things. Thats a back burner project for sure. The power supply and lifting those caps are my first projects for the PS1. Cuz they are easy, most likely, and cheap. I dont know how much I go for the notion of vibration of the chassis interfering with the sound, but I am here to learn so I suppose trying something like that is not out of the question for me.

Well if you are here to learn remember this: "If it moves, turns or oscillates it resonates". As the CD spins the whole transport vibrates. Especially on cheap players. That resonance and vibration causes the laser to miss-read info from the disc. This results in poor detail in the music which can generally exhibits itself as a weak sound stage, poor imaging, lack of depth in the instrument timbre a blurring of transients and a Lo-Fi rather than a Hi-Fi result. Mounting the transport on sharp cones which sit on a heavy timber base drains the resonance out of the mech into the timbre and away. More Hi in your Fi!

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2008, 11:44 

I have a couple friends who use PS1s as their CDP. One is modded the other is stock. The modded one has its outputs straight from the DAC bypassing any op-amps and while it sounds good, it needs a good swift kick in the butt to make any volume.

I use an Onix CD-5, which is a recased Music Hall 25.2 and when we compared the two we did note several differences in their sound signature...not for bad or worse...but different.

One presented voices better but I am not sure which it was. The CD-5 seemed to handle complex passages better probably because the voltage out is enough to seperate instruments and not muddle everything. The Sony was stellar at folk music and light acoustic music with a real tone and breathiness that put you there.

It was a nightmare trying to equalize volume though as the CD-5 was 10dB louder on its output than the PS1...we did our best but going back and forth was tricky.

Either way, to me, it is just too much of a PITA to hold a PS1 controller while listening to your music and if you don't have a monitor attached it could be difficult to find your way around for beginners. My friend got a remote control for his but you practically have to stand on it and be perfectly inline for it to work so it doesn't get around the clunkiness of it at all.

On the cheap though...what the hey?

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2008, 17:48 
Project Author

Your comments appear to agree with professional reviewers. From what I can remember of what I read some time back the PS in the Sony has mains through it. Supposedly the DAC on the 1001s and 1002s is very good though. Interesting your comment about bypassing the on-board OP amps. Good idea.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2008, 05:25 

Yeah, you can build an outboard psu that is supposedly pretty good for them.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2008, 16:40 

Mods, Mods, Mods and More mods.

PS1 Mods

Alan

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2009, 16:24 

Sorry for posting in a dead thread.

I recently got a hold of one of these. I hooked it up to my Outlaw Pre/pro via TNT shoestring interconnects. I don't know if it's a giant killer or not.. But I will say that CD's sound as good as they ever have on my system and sounds better than any other device I currently have for playing CDs either using their internal DAC's or sending digital coax or optical to the Outlaw for decoding. That said, none of these devices (dvd players, computers, other games consoles) are specifically designed with CD audio in mind

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2009, 17:10 
Project Author

Dang good and super cheap!
I dont remember where they are but people have build interfaces for them so that you operate it like a real CDP and you can see which track is available and whats playing etc just like real CDP. Then they remove it from its chassis and upgrade the power supply and pop it in a nicer box.
Ri

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2009, 10:00 
Project Author

At local second-hand stores we would get a few of the right releases in. But what p***s me off is one store use to take a lot of quality CD players. Real CD players. And now doesn't. None. Wished I'd bought some they had on the shelf now.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009, 13:35 

RiGuy wrote:
Dang good and super cheap!
I dont remember where they are but people have build interfaces for them so that you operate it like a real CDP and you can see which track is available and whats playing etc just like real CDP. Then they remove it from its chassis and upgrade the power supply and pop it in a nicer box.

The mods are posted above in my previous post.