DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 15 Sep 2019, 22:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2008, 20:04 
Project Author

I wondering if any audiophile aspiring music lover has used a Sony Play Station 1 as a CD player through quality gear and has been impressed with sound. I have just read another write up in Stereophile where the reviewer has been blown-away by the quality of this now $25 player. Though the player tests poorly the sound well exceeds expectations (and test results). Does the latest PS exceed it's legendary grandfather or was the PS1 one of a kind?

Comments please.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2008, 22:00 

Well, I had one of these several years back. At times I used it at as a CD, particularly on the road. I saw that stereophile article in this months magazine. The article makes no sense, as the PS1 came out like 10 years ago!. I just found this site with a quick search for ps1 mods:
http://dogbreath.de/PS1/index.html

For $25 it is hard to go wrong, but I never though too much of mine.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2008, 16:03 
Project Author

I have read alot about this as well. I have one here in the basement but have not been able to find it. Remember it has to be the first one and not only that it has to be a certain part number which was mentioned in DIY somewhere. Not sure but when I find mine I am sure I will locate the PN and reference it to the DIY mention. I think it would be neat to build a CD transport for it and there are threads about building a control that is more like a real cd player.
RI

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 10:37 
Project Author

Okay, Found my PS1. It is a SCPH-7*** so no good. So, I did a search on Craigslist and ebay and came up with nothing on Craigslist and only expensive ones on ebay. Okay, not expensive, but maybe $50 after shipping.
You have to have the SCPH-1001 in the US and the 1002 in the UK.
I posted a "wanted" add on Craigslist and got 2 responses. One of the people was good enough to follow through and sold it to me for $20, delivered!!
I plugged it in. Noise. I have been fighting a problem with buzzing toroid and then this problem makes me think I have DC on the Mains. Gio has been very kind in helping me with this as has Bruce. Thanks guys. HOWEVER, now I dont think DC was the problem. I had an issue with my LM3886 since I closed the lid on it after showing off the guts to a friend. I think I pushed some wires together and had a short. One channel went out. I grabbed it and off to the workbench.
After rewiring much of the rats nest just for good measure I remembered that I had seen a reference to the pin of a RCA connector being the Signal. I had it connected as Ground. Ooops I thought. Thats probably my issue. So I switched them back to how they should be and rerouted my wires from RCA to Volume Pots to avoid crosstalk.
Wired up and ready to test. Fire it up and both channels are working :) Good so far. I had previously thought I had a DC problem and I also thought that there was a loose connection in one of the ancient PS1 RCA connectors. It still needs to be tightened up, but who knows, maybe my new RCA arrangement in my amp fixed the problem. Maybe it wasnt the PS1 all along. So I plugged into the PS1. Switched on the amp.
Listening impression: Go Buy a PS1. Probably now is as good a time as any. Or better than any. This is a fantastic CD player. I liked my setup before, even with ground and signal reversed it sounded nice. Who knows why? I dont. But, man... This was the second revelation. The first was that the LM3886 sounded so much better than anything else I ever owned. The second was that this PS1 is an incredible addition to my system. Love it. Here is what happened...
The soundstage got wider and deeper and more real. This time it really felt like the singer was IN the room. Before it sounded great, but constrained somehow and it would make you a little tight in the shoulders listening, even though it sounded good and was fun (by the way its not as loud as it used to be, but still loud). So while listening fatigue was diminished on my pre PS1 setup it is now DRAMATICALLY diminished with the addition of the PS1. Okay, the sound is floating around you. Its weird and relaxing and the digitallness (whatever, use your own word to make it seem more "real") is just gone and the chance of you closing your eyes and finding two point sources in the room is gone. I am quoting someone and I dont recall who but "the sound is coming from behind the wall somewhere" except its not so hard to figure where its coming from. Its coming from the band in front of you. Yeah, Its that good. Go get one. It beats the pants off of your existing CDP.
RI

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 22:40 
Editor

RiGuy wrote:
Listening impression: Go Buy a PS1.

Thanks for the guinea pig work. I'm going to pick one up for myself. Can't go wrong for that price.

Cheers

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 22:35 

Hi there Riguy. Thank you for the excellent summery. I just checked mine and I did not have the right model number. I guess that is why I never thought anything special of it. I am going to try place an ad like you did and see if I have any luck. Thanks again.,

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 22:52 
Project Author

1timer, no problem trust me it was my pleasure. I have a 5501 as well and cant find the darn cable that came with it with the RCA on one end. The difference between my Technics and the PS1 was big. Hope you find a big difference to, I think you will like it.
Ri

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2008, 17:44 
Editor

Stereophile followup: http://stereophile.com/cdplayers/708play/

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2008, 23:25 
Project Author

Nice Find Gio. Its a bit of what I would expect from a professional reviewer. He likes it, alot. He does some measurements and finds it doesnt measure as well as he thought it should. He cuts a check and buys it :)
It really does sound fantastic and for $20!!!!
Ri

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2008, 10:56 
Editor

Hi Ri,

Yeah, you can't go wrong at the price. A decent used CDP is going to set you back close to $200.

Were you going to try any of the mods?