DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Nov 2019, 03:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DAC suggestions
PostPosted: 30 May 2010, 13:15 

Hi all,

I currently own a pair of B&W DM-601 S2 speakers driven by Arcam Delta 90.2 amp which is connected to my MacBook.

I'm thinking of buying a DAC to improve the sound of my system.

Are there any recent D/A converters I should consider? I'm on a (very) low budget, so as cheap as possible please!

I was thinking of a Fireye II or a Fubar II? On other forums people recommend the V-DAC or the Valab DAC; does anyone have experiences with one of those?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: DAC suggestions
PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 03:35 

Hi,

I've heard quite a few at audio festivals and everyone in my neck of the woods seems to settle on an Edirol :headphones:

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 12:03 
Editor

I'll toss in my vote for the Musical Fidelity V-DAC D/A processor which is very good for the cost - about $300.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2010, 23:18 

hey guys,

some what a same problem here. You see I was on the lookout for a under 70$ DAC+AMP and there are lots of em!. But the problems are

1. Musiland has some great DAC's but none with a headphone amp :( as in a portable headphone amp like the Fiio e7. i noticed the sound card lilo v joy has a line in thus maybe i can use it as an amp.
2. Fiio e7 has a 16-bit audio DAC ;t all musiland ones have 24bit DAC's.
3. Same with the nuForce icon mobile.
4. 16bit vs 24bit does make a hUge DifFeRenCe? :?

thanks,
Rohan

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2010, 22:45 

I need to put in my two cents. A month or so ago I found a Sony Altus S-Air Wireless PC Music Transmitter and Receiver as a special on eBay. $39.00 including shipping. The price was too good to pass up so I bought one, not really knowing what I would do with it. That came to me shortly.

I had been playing my music from CDs through a DVD player sending a signal through my LDR attenuator to my K12-G amp. It sounded great but I was getting awash in old CDs.

My iTunes collection includes all my old CDs plus tons of music I've bought online. But I didn't want to hook my PC up to my amp. But then, I remembered the small box from Sony sitting in the corner... TaDa!!!

The Sony unit uses a USB interface with the PC to transmit a signal to a receiver unit. The reciever unit has audio out jacks which attach to an amp or, in my case, my LDR attenuator. There is no volume control on the receiver, darnit. Just an LCD display and an on/off switch.

Sony provides software that allows the system to directly access my music folder on my PC. The S-Air device is designated on my PC as the default audio output device. I can control play either from the PC (in iTunes) or through a remote control that comes with the Altus. Using the remote control is cumbersome; it's easier to scroll through my music collection in iTunes than on an album-by-album basis using the remote. I don't think this works on a Mac. Sorry, Steve.

This thing is magnificent! The sound quality is superb. Even though I'm transmitting the signal only about 18 inches, it still isolates the amp from my PC. And the signal is strong enought to transmit to a receiver anywhere in my house...which is not large. For now though, I'm using it simply as a DAC, and very happy with the results.

This is a brief description. But please take a look. The Sony unit retails for $99 but can be had for much less. I subsequently bought another unit at the $39 price. It's still in its box waiting for some inspiration from me.

Lofton