DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 11:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 08:20 

Are you two calling me out on my cooking? I'm a pretty mean cook, I'll have you know. The wife misses her Peruvian dishes but she says I make a Lomo Saltado that is probably one of the best she has had.

I was talking to my father last night and he asked me if I had received my $250. My $250, what $250?!? He responds, "the stimulus payment - should be in your bank account." I haven't checked, but if it's there, I would like to spend somewhere around $40. But on what???? Help, guys!!! In the meantime, I'll just take a look at those building instructions that are now up on the site. ;)

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 08:27 
Project Author

Well you could build a Lightspeed for that plus the parts you have in your junk drawer. Other than that... good CDs :)
Uriah

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 08:39 

Ha..you know where I'm putting that $40...right into a pair of matched LDRs.... :mrgreen: Waiting on the coffee here at work so I just read the whole thread...VEEEEERY interesting.

One question..I think you or Gio commented that source output impedance should be around 100 ohms. Last year I contacted LDF on my Mistral phono pre because they did not list the output impedance in their specs. The sales rep shot me an email and said around 300 ohms. Too high an output impedance on my phono pre?

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 08:47 
Project Author

Well dont waste your time on reading the whole massive DIYaudio thread. First 5 pages is all you need.
It will work with your DVD player but I am not sure how it will behave with your phono pre. Maybe fine and then you can update us that its okay with that as well but your aunt coreys buffer might help it work with the phono pre. On the other hand this IS a pre so maybe I wouldnt try to use it with the Phone pre. The idea here with the Lightspeed is to minimize everything. So if you could get away with CDP/LSA/AMP this would be the best.
Uriah

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 09:05 

Yeah, I like to keep it simple (and so does my wife!).

I'll open my penny jar this weekend and get my order in for a set of LDRs. Time's a'wasting. I don't want to be adding an extra component in the chain like my Aunt Corey (which I'm thinking of modifying), but I'll see how it sounds connecting into my analog section. If no worky, I could even experiment with including a simplified B1 circuit as a buffer.

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 09:39 
Project Author

If I had impedance issues that was going to be my solution, adding the B1.
Uriah

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 09:51 

Yeah, looking at this thread ( I promise not to go through the DIYAudio thread - I'll just end up with a big headache - I've learned my lesson- it's like having a hangnail )..man, this schematic BEGS to keep it simple. I've got plenty of spare parts and bought a 100 of the JFets from Spencer on DIYAudio. I could jettison the volume pots and tie in the LA very easily with what I built so far with the B1. We'll see how it goes with LA only in my analog setup.

question: does this circuit work well going point to point or better to etch a pcb?

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 10:20 
Project Author

I think it should be P2P or veroboard. My etching is cool to have but really just added extra work.
Uriah

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 21:43 
Editor

Hi sonidos, could you give a bit more detail on what you would be using the Lightspeed with? Keep in mind it does not have any gain. Do you know what sort of output your phono pre has?
Cheers

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 22:15 

Gio,

That devil is in the details. Ok, In my home setup, I can switch my Aunt Corey buffer between my phone pre and my Oppo. I thought something along the lines of building 2 LAs, one for my Rega/Mistral rig, the other for my Oppo. Since I listen to vinyl on a rare basis, I thought it would be painless to switch interconnects manually.

For the analog rig, I've got a Rega Planar 25, unbalanced RCAs to my LFD Mistral. The Rega has a Rega cartridge, which is a high output moving magnet cartridge. The signal goes from the output of the LFD Mistral (unbalanced RCA) to the Aunt Corey's buffer via a meter pair of Kimber PBJ. From the Aunt Corey's buffer output, I have a pair of homemade interconnects made from Canare star quad and they run 8 ft. to the Adcom amp.

Gio, I can tell you with this combo, I have plenty of gain for my needs. I'm not a high volume, feel it in your chest type of guy. It gets plenty loud for my tastes. 2 o'clock on my buffer and it gets pretty loud. I imagine with the Adcom upgrade, I'll get a little more power to my Spicas.

I know per LFD that the output is 300 ohms, but I have no idea what the gain is. I'll have to dig out the owner's manual from a box somewhere deep in the recess of my closet. What do you think?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next