DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 07:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Onkyo DX-130 CDP mod
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 21:29 
Project Author

I have been reading the cdp mod posts and sounded like something fun, and with an older cdp not much loss of it does not go well.
I started with an Onkyo DX-130, I really liked the brand back in the day. I had an integra amp and the loading tray on this one is soft and it plays darn well for only a 16bit DAC.

Since the draw on the the power supply is only minimal, in the teens, I went with the old RS back to back using a 1.2A 6-0-6 as the second and the onkyo as the primary. Since the Onkyo was pumping out 17VAC I ended up with 180vac and 147 after pi filtering.
The heaters are run from a seperate 450mA 6-0-6 with a virtual center and hum circuit ( I use ac heat).

I used some project boards designed by dsavitsk, and schematics by the Lampazator. But I had to adjust them, one because I am on a led cathode kick right now and because I ran into simalar issues as Alan. The initial sound had WAY too much gain and sounded like a $2 boombox cranked all the way up. Some load line testing and tube changes, I ended up with a 6cG7 (20 Mu).

This unit uses a YM3020 16 bit external opamp DAC and 2 PC4570's in a unity gain/ bandpass congfig. I "stole" the signal right off the chip at pins 1 and 16. I do not have a schematic, a little bird dogging and jumper testing and I followed the circuit flow from the rca's back to the dac.

Well it came together nice and sounds great! More soundstaging and since the old circuit is intact I am able to do side by side comparisons.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post subject: Re: Onkyo DX-130 CDP mod
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 22:17 
Project Author

I am so jealous that you have no problem knocking that together. I would be lost in my CDP. That looks like a lot of fun. So, good soundstage but not ground breaking new sound? Was it worth the time and parts? Well, most fun tinkering is worth it I guess.
Ri

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 22:30 
Editor

Great work Rogers. That is just superb. I like keeping the opamp side as well. Are the boards from a group buy? If not, can you post a link?

Ri, it helps that the CDP has a lot of room. All of mine are pretty cramped.

Cheers

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 00:13 
Project Author

RiGuy wrote:
I am so jealous that you have no problem knocking that together. I would be lost in my CDP. That looks like a lot of fun. So, good soundstage but not ground breaking new sound? Was it worth the time and parts? Well, most fun tinkering is worth it I guess.

I spend almost too much time with my hobby. 20+ years as a Sailor in the US Navy, this is my way to release some constructive energy LOL. I have built so many little circuits that is was easy to spot the opamps and the various power handling circuits.

I have to say this sounds spectacular. I guess a good analogy would be the loudness button on a receiver, don't take it literally as certain frequencies are enhanced at a log ratio etc, but at the closed eye sound difference. it did not happen instantly thogh, initially it sounded horrible, I had to do some good math and some simulations to get it right. Luckily I have various tubes around to roll in as this was supposed to be a 6n1p circuit with a 47k plate resistor,

Gio, dsavitsk site is here http://www.ecp.cc/diy-audio.html the board post was here http://headwize.com/ubb/showpage.php?fnum=5&tid=2523, but not sure if he has any more left. They are some real neat boards makes proto work a breeze.

Rogers

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 18:01 
Project Author

roggom wrote:
I have been reading the cdp mod posts and sounded like something fun, and with an older cdp not much loss of it does not go well.
I started with an Onkyo DX-130, I really liked the brand back in the day. I had an integra amp and the loading tray on this one is soft and it plays darn well for only a 16bit DAC.

Since the draw on the the power supply is only minimal, in the teens, I went with the old RS back to back using a 1.2A 6-0-6 as the second and the onkyo as the primary. Since the Onkyo was pumping out 17VAC I ended up with 180vac and 147 after pi filtering.
The heaters are run from a seperate 450mA 6-0-6 with a virtual center and hum circuit ( I use ac heat).

I used some project boards designed by dsavitsk, and schematics by the Lampazator. But I had to adjust them, one because I am on a led cathode kick right now and because I ran into simalar issues as Alan. The initial sound had WAY too much gain and sounded like a $2 boombox cranked all the way up. Some load line testing and tube changes, I ended up with a 6cG7 (20 Mu).

This unit uses a YM3020 16 bit external opamp DAC and 2 PC4570's in a unity gain/ bandpass congfig. I "stole" the signal right off the chip at pins 1 and 16. I do not have a schematic, a little bird dogging and jumper testing and I followed the circuit flow from the rca's back to the dac.

Well it came together nice and sounds great! More soundstaging and since the old circuit is intact I am able to do side by side comparisons.

Awsome, great work, :up: I can see that this is becoming quite a popular mod, although I decided to leave out the tube stage for space reasons and plus I have made beefier power supplies in my JVC and because I found the case to small to work with I had to make a new one, a bit of a working progress though.

I really wish I could download my pics because I have tonns of them. A good improvement you can make for the rest of the cd player are cap upgrades, get silver micas for the 1-1500pf values and I found this to be a good comprimise, but I had all values on hand all ready so that is easy for me to say. You can also get non polar electrolytics and add a regulated power supply for the D/A and motor drive circuits, I will explain this when ever I get my pictures posted, damn camera cable! :down:

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 20:18 
Project Author

CrazzyAbtTubes wrote:
I will explain this when ever I get my pictures posted, damn camera cable! :down:

I am sure you put some work into your mod, I am waiting for another Maggie to arrive and I get itchy to build something after a few days. I have way too many headamps. So now I have a Tube RIAA, Tube modded CDP and Tube amplifier. Next a Tube DAC, something like this

http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/usbdac.html but I will sacrifice size to allow for through hole components. Not very fond of smd. This is just a vision but not based on the exact design, $10k there is no way.

Rogers

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 22:44 
Project Author

looks real cool :up:

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2009, 14:59 
Editor

Rogers,
My CDP has a digital out, so rather than mod, I am in the market for a DAC. It seems like a better solution since I can also improve the DAC this way.

I will be very interested in knowing what you do. Which DAC were you planning on using?

Cheers

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009, 11:30 
Project Author

Actually my plan is to build one of these at some point as well, for the same reason, I could get better performance from it than from modding the cd player.

I did happen to find a Datel DAC-HK12BGC-2 chip laying around, too bad it is only mono so I would need two in order to make a stereo D/A converter, this chip is huge!

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009, 23:23 
Project Author

I have been looking and looking, there are some nice designs out there but for the most part it is a dac then a basic common cathode tube circuit afterward. I will keep checking.
Rogers