DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Jun 2019, 16:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rega P1 Turntable
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 16:53 
Editor

This is a spin off from What is your vinyl source?

Here is a shot of my Rega P1 turntable with the factory felt mat.
Attachment:
Rega-P1-Turntable-felt-mat.jpg
I don't use the dust cover. When I am done playing, I just drop a scratched record on the TT to keep the dust off.

Next is a shot of my Rega P1 turntable with a replacement rubber(?) mat.
Attachment:
Rega-P1-Turntable-Rubber-Mat.jpg
I got the rubber mat because I am having a static issues right now as we are in winter. Sometimes when I would go to remove a record the felt mat would be stuck to the record. The rubber mat gets a very grip on the record. The thickness is about the same, perhaps a bit thicker than the felt mat. Sorry, I have not done any critical listening so no comments on sound improvements. It has helped with the static and dust issues, but it is also sticks to some records when you remove them. :x

That last photo is a $2 record I just got today from the record store. It caught my eye as it is made by Telefunken in West Germany and it is on heavy weight vinyl (about 180g I guess). Very nice recording.
Attachment:
Telefunken-Record.jpg

I also grabbed five other mint classical records (Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky..) all $2 each. They are also West German by "Deutsche Grammophon" pressed between 1978 and 1981. What caught my eye is that on the back of the records they make notes about the microphone and the recording. One went as far to say that the recording "will make possible an exceptional brilliance and transparency in sound". If that is just a sales pitch, it worked on me! ;)

I'm not really into classical, but I could not pass these up at the price as I had a feeling they would be good quality and they certainly are. :mrgreen:

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post subject: Re: Rega P1 Turntable
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 22:29 

Gio, did you have to do any heavy cleaning? I recently started using Rapid Record Renew, and I have to say it works very well. I found an old ELO LP, I can not remember the name at the moment, that must be 30 some years old. My brother and I listened when we were teenagers, which right there should give you a clue of the condition I found it in, no scratches but it sounded awful. Wiped it twice with my static brush, no change. Sprayed on some Rapid Renew, and made a huge difference. Not perfect mind you but much, much better. I think that I had left the cleaner on for the recommended 30 seconds it would have been much better sounding. It was a thrill to sit and listen. The album was well recorded, and quality of the music was exceptional.

Enjoy your recordings, they sound like fantastic finds.

Alan

Post subject: DIY Record Cleaner
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009, 00:10 
Editor

No, just dust. They were all in mint shape, record and jacket.
I will try this fluid. The record cleaner looks like fun!
http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html
Cheers

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009, 01:19 
Project Author

I may have to look at the rubber mat myself even thought the anti-static brush I have is help heaps.

The TT looks the same as mine. Panar3 with RB300 arm. Gio do have a glass platter??

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009, 13:22 
Editor

Hi Mark, the Rega P1 is their new entry level model. To keep the cost low for the entry level model, the platter was scaled back and is made from MDF. You can upgrade to a glass platter, not sure how much that is though.

This rubber mat is sticking almost as much as the felt was due to static cling. If you don't have static problems, I don't suggest it. I'll switch back to the felt mat when we get out of winter.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2009, 15:02 

Gio or anyone else with a P1,

I am wondering if you are experiencing either of the following?

1. Every once and a while the TT starts up backwards?
2. using the power switch causes a pop to come through the system.

Alan

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2009, 19:05 
Project Author

Alan, try a cap across your power switch or a MOV. Thats what I have heard for the pop. Maybe not a cap,maybe just a MOV. Think the cap might let the AC through and wouldnt work.
Ri

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2009, 19:38 
Editor

booangler wrote:
I am wondering if you are experiencing either of the following?

1. Every once and a while the TT starts up backwards?
2. using the power switch causes a pop to come through the system.

1. - NO. Never. Have you removed the platter and looked at the pulleys and motor?

2. - YES and how annoying! Like Ri said a small cap (0.01uF) should do the trick. I was going to try this, but never did get to it. From looking at the bottom, I get the impression that there will not be enough room, but I have not popped off the cover to take a good look. If you do, let me know. If the switch is on the mains, you will want to use a 250V cap.

BTW - I switched back to the felt mat. The grippy rubber one would occasionally stick and even leave small marks on the LP especially if you left it overnight. I think I will try find a heavy rubber mat that is not so sticky.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 09:21 

gmilitano wrote:
Like Ri said a small cap (0.01uF) should do the trick. I was going to try this, but never did get to it. From looking at the bottom, I get the impression that there will not be enough room, but I have not popped off the cover to take a good look. If you do, let me know. If the switch is on the mains, you will want to use a 250V cap.

Gio,

With exams almost done, I have started planning to get a few things done over the next ten days or so. With that in mind the TT pop is driving me crazy. There is no reason why I can not use a ceramic disc for this right?

Alan

PS: I just noticed my serial number is 00010. I wonder if that really means #10

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 13:39 
Editor

Ceramic should work fine too. High voltage is better if the switch is on the mains. Take a photo of how much room there is.
Cheers