DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Aug 2019, 04:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009, 18:45 
Project Author

I have my preamp chassis ready, yay! :mrgreen:

It looks soo nice considering the amount of junk I used, although it could use some finishing touches....

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009, 18:46 
Project Author

I have my preamp chassis ready, yay! :mrgreen:

It looks soo nice considering the amount of junk I used, although it could use some finishing touches....

oooops, I think I screwed up with one of my posts....

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 15:10 
Project Author

Well, here it is, the completed unit! It sounds better than having the audio come straight from the DAC I find, it softens up the highs a bit, there just as clear but not over whelming.

I used a 6SN7 instead of a 6CG7, because I like to use octal tubes and I do not have very many 6CG7's on hand, but lots of 6SN7's.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 19:14 
Editor

Glad to hear that it is working out well for you. What are you doing for the power supply?

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 13:47 
Project Author

The best thing about my Mini Tube Preamp is that it has a seperate power supply, it produces the 150V needed for the HV but it puts out 12V and the 6SN7 uses 6.3V! :( Oh, well more regulation to it, all I needed was a 7805 and that problem was solved.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 18:07 
Project Author

Well, I have got most of the parts mounted into the chassis and have two pieces of Oak for the sides of the case. I'm thinking of getting some dark plexy glass for the top and front panel, that would look pretty cool, and you could then see all the inner workings of the cd player.

I have been using the cd player with my williamson amp for a while know and I have to say, it sound pretty darn good, every cd I have played has never been more clear and there is quite an edge to detail. I am also impressed with the performance I get out of my Williamson amp, it is using most of its original components other than the coupling caps and the value changes of certian resistors it sounds just wonder full.

A little word of advice, If you ever see or get an W-1 or W-3 Heathkit Williamson amplifier that has an Acrosound output, get it and restore it, the sound will just blow you away! :o

If anyone has any improvement ideas or suggestions for my rebuild, I would like to hear them, I can also try my best to answer any other questions that modders may have. :geek:

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 22:46 
Editor

Hey Alan, If you are looking for more ideas, here are a couple of pages with CDP mods:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/modify ... ee-208333/
http://margo.student.utwente.nl/klaas/audio_cd.htm

Cheers

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009, 12:25 
Project Author

After many months of having the case supplies laying around, I finally got motivated to finnish what I started... :)

It was not easy to gather the supplies, as time made it difficult, but I finally got to Kent and bought a sheet of plexy glass for about $25 and was way more than I needed, so I have lots to spare for other projects.

The bottom of the case consists of a piece of wood and a sheet of aluminum that is folded up to make the back panel. The sides are made of two pieces of Oak cut to the same length and the front panel is the original, since it doesn't look half bad. Every thing is held together by mass amounts of epoxy and hot glue with a few screws to make sure it stayed together while it dried.

The CD tray is also epoxied down to a piece of rubber padding rather than the traditional screws and those round rubber things.

I finnished the case within less than a week using a hack saw and a dremel tool, and I personally think it looks better with the clear cover, then you can tell what the cd is doing and it just looks cool to see the rest of the guts inside.

And the sound is just amazing, better than any cd player I have listened to, and even the original cheap output amplifier sounds much improved, mainly because of the regulated power supply which gets rather hot using a 7812, I will change it to an 317 later on.

It is also very quiet, vertually no noise when running straight from the D/A converter. Considering the costs involved constructing a case like this is well worth it just for the looks and the solid feeling. The piece of Oak that I had cut to length cost under $10, the plexy glass cost $25, the aluminum sheet was salvaged but does not need to be very thick, and the thin piece of wood on the bottom was salvaged from some old tape deck, the hardware can be whatever, but I did purchase some brass screws (like $2 worth).

To make a preamp for the cd player I used the power supply from my Mini Tube preamp and built a low gain simple LED biased one tube 6SN7 preamp, basically the same as the 6CG7 preamps used on the other cd player projects.

If schematics are requested I can post those, although it would only be the CD player power supply and the tube preamp, so enjoy the pics, and now announce this project as COMPETE. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009, 18:02 
Editor

I like the look of the plexi top on the CDP. Glad to hear it is a large improvement.
Cheers,
Gio