DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Sep 2019, 07:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 13:50 

I own a 1983 Linn LP-12 with a Linn ittok tonearm since 10 years. I paid 1000$ for it and an other 300$ to get a new needle and a calibration.
It now need a new cartridge and i don't use it for the momment. I have a Oracle Alexandria too but i need to build a power supply for it, it need 27 volts DC. No decent working turntable and have 12000 records in hand.I think i spend too much time looking for records.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 23:26 

Clearaudio Champion II table with an SME 309 arm and Benz Micro cartridge.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 11:41 

Wardsweb wrote:
Clearaudio Champion II table with an SME 309 arm and Benz Micro cartridge.

WOW. Very nice!

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 22:04 

1963 Bogen Presto B61 with Schick arm and Zu Denon 103 mounted in slate and native Texas limestone.

Ed

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 20:56 
Project Author

Just jumped on this thread. I have a Rega Panar III with an RB300 arm. The cartridge is a Grado Mahogany wood body cartridge - Reference Sonata.

Two phono preamps in rotation at the moment. My Two stage OPAMP based (and kit based) Monreal Dog Audio battery powered and Mongrel Dog Audio/Oatley Electronics tube phono preamp. Both excellent.

Attachment:
MDogAudiophonoSS.jpg

Attachment:
PhonoTubePreampMkIIFrontSS.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 09 May 2010, 20:27 
Project Author

When I restored my analogue section I tried to use my Harmon Kardon amp phono stage which I had used for before years. I could not believe how dull it sounded and it hissed like a snake in attack mode.

So I bought a Pro-ject SE phono preamp and liked it. I liked it until I built my own kit form OPAMP based two stage phono preamp. I sold the Pro-ject a week later. The first of the phono preamps run from an AC wall wart with rectifier and regulated supply on board. Then I built two battery operated units. Also with the battery units I used silver wire, alps pots etc. etc.

Now I have the Oatley Electronics tube phono preamp kit and find it a little better than my OPAMP ones. Really both are very good its just what I feel like on the day. I'm very into Classical vinyl and now have just been made Opera convener for the Melbourne Audio Club and must buy some more Opera vinyl. I have also bought a lot of Jazz vinyl.

Some times for weeks on end I only play vinyl.

PostPosted: 09 May 2010, 21:58 

mwhouston

That is a neat looking pre, and I had never seen nor heard of those tubes before. It looks to be a good affordable kit.
I too, often go days playing nothing but vinyl! :mrgreen:

cheers
ed