DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Sep 2019, 21:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2008, 15:24 

I thought it might be interesting to see what we are using for Vinyl engines. I myself, just upgraded to a Rega P1 (thanks honey it is a great gift) from a Technics BL210. The Rega is feeding my NAD 1300 as the phono stage. I hope to be getting a Seduction from Doc Bottlehead for my birthday which is coming up at the end of February. While I shouldn't be surprised as to how much better it sounds, I was! It really is like night and day. Live Rust never sounded so good. Now if I could just find my Dark Side of the Moon LP.
Regards,
Alan

Post subject: Rega P25 Turntable
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2008, 16:52 

Alan,

I have the Rega P25. You can't go wrong with a Rega! If you can't find your Dark Side LP, if you're in the Austin area, drop by and I'll let you borrow it for a while. :headphones:

Before I bought my Rega, I did some research and I remarked to the sales rep that I heard that Regas run a bit fast in the US. He told me that it was true, but if I could tell him that I could hear that difference and I didn't like the Rega, then I truly had gifted ears. He said he only had one customer who said that he could tell the difference.

I'm using the Super Elys on mine. Can't quite swing one of them fancy MC types just yet. The table runs into an LFD Mistral phono preamp (Brit manufacture). Seems the internet underground liked it very much at that time.

Post subject: Rega P1 Turntable
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2008, 18:47 
Editor

Hi guys, I have a new Rega P1 turntable and I love it. Huge improvement over what I had. I've already ordered a replacement mat for the platter from eBay and I will let you know how it turns out. After that I will try a simple DIY record clamp.

Post subject: Re: Rega P1 Turntable
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2009, 15:02 

gmilitano wrote:
Hi guys, I have a new Rega P1 turntable and I love it. Huge improvement over what I had. I've already ordered a replacement mat for the platter from eBay and I will let you know how it turns out. After that I will try a simple DIY record clamp.

Gio,
Does your NAD C162 have a selectable resistance switch for the phono input? My 1300 can select between 100, 200 or 300pF. As I don't have any documentation for it I have no idea what the point is or how to set it. I don't have equipment that will properly measure resistance that low.

Alan

PS I was really hoping we might get more traffic here than we did.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2009, 18:10 
Project Author

You might be getting traffic, but no responses :) I have no vinyl and recently visited my brother in law who has CD/SACD/AudioDVD/Vinyl.
I liked the AudioDVD best, so while I read I wouldnt have any input.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2009, 21:33 
Editor

booangler wrote:
Does your NAD C162 have a selectable resistance switch for the phono input? My 1300 can select between 100, 200 or 300pF. As I don't have any documentation for it I have no idea what the point is or how to set it. I don't have equipment that will properly measure resistance that low.

Hi Alan. No, with the NAD C162 you can not select the load capacitance for the cartridge, you can just select between MM and MC. My NAD 1020 allowed you to select the load capacitance for the cartridge. Man, this C162 really sucks! :mad:

Here is the data for the Ortofon OM 5E Cartridge
Quote:
OM 5E
Attachment:
Ortofon-OM_5E-cartridge.png

The OM 5E is a magnetic cartridge (MM) with an elliptical shaped stylus that provides balanced and distortion-free playback for general purpose applications.

TECHNICAL DATA
Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. 4 mV
Channel balance at 1 kHz 2 dB
Channel separation at 1 kHz 22 dB
Channel separation at 15 kHz 15 dB
Frequency range at - 3dB 20-25.000 Hz
Frequency response 20-20.000 Hz ± 2 dB
Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force *) 65 µm
Compliance, dynamic, lateral 20 µm/mN
Stylus type Elliptical
Stylus tip radius r/R 8/18 µm
Tracking force range 1,5-2,0 g (15-20 mN)
Tracking force, recommended 1,75 g (17,5 mN)
Tracking angle 20°
Internal impedance, DC resistance 750 Ohm
Internal inductance 450 mH
Recommended load resistance 47 kOhm
Recommended load capacitance 200-600 pF
Cartridge colour, body/stylus Black/Black
Cartridge weight 5 g
Replacement stylus unit Stylus 5 E
*) Typical value

So you will want to set the load resistance to 47k and the load capacitance at 200 or 300 pF in your case.
Hope this helps.

PS - listening to my P1 right now! :headphones:

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 09:29 

RiGuy wrote:
You might be getting traffic, but no responses :) I have no vinyl and recently visited my brother in law who has CD/SACD/AudioDVD/Vinyl.
I liked the AudioDVD best, so while I read I wouldnt have any input.

Uriah,

No vinyl at all. Man you need to get a hold of Bothers in Arms and hear it in all its glory! ;)

Alan

PS I still love being able to load 6 CD's in my player and just listen.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 14:28 
Project Author

Hi Alan,
I have been back on the vinyl a little over a year ago. I started with a Sony Linear PS-FL7II with a Digitrac elliptical. When I picked it up I wrote it off as BPC, but after doing some research it is a rather nice unit and I got it for $4 at a thrift. One pc mounted fuse and I was in business. I have a Marantz system consisting of 6150 TT with a Grado Green, 2285B receiver, and 240 power amp, B & W VM2 speakers.

The Sony sits at my workbench I sometimes use a Marnatz 2215B for RIAA, or I have a DIY SS pre that is basically a Marantz phono pre in an enclosure and uses an external PS. I have a tube RIAA that I just built and that is in use now two 6Dj8's in common cathode ~40db of gain.

My dream TT is the Marantz TT15S1 goes for $1550 USD, 200 less than last year. I will reward myself once I finish my MBA in April.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 14:46 

roggom wrote:
My dream TT is the Marantz TT15S1 goes for $1550 USD, 200 less than last year. I will reward myself once I finish my MBA in April.

I Love the way that TT looks!! While not my dream TT, that would be a Garrard 401, it is very close. Two of our High End Stereo Dealers in Rochester have it on display. I go in just to drool. If I could, I would buy it just as a display piece, I like it that much.

Thanks for joining in. I will have to do some research on your components as I am not very familiar with them. I have only been back into vinyl for about three months. Of which only the last week or so have been enjoyable. As that corresponds to how long I have had my P1.

Cheers,

Alan

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2009, 06:38 

I have always loved vinyl, but struggled to find a decent record deck. Until last summer when I took a trip into a hifi shop in Southampton, UK. They demonstrated a Clear Audio E-Motion to me. www.clearaudio.de

It's an absolutely fascinating record deck. I heard Pink Floyd's The Wall on Vinyl. And compared it side by side to the CD that was being played on a CD-P that was over 5x the price (The record deck is £800 or there abouts).

Honestly, the CD-P was nailed to the wall.

Regards, John.