DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 07:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CD-less universal player
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2010, 14:03 

Hello friends,

Does anyone know of an universal player which accepts various files formats like .avi, .mkv, .flac, wav, mp3 from a USB 2.0 interface with an inbuilt DAC?

90% of my audio playback/movies are from media found on the net and these include divx videos etc. So I am basically downloading stuff, transferring them onto a 4GB thumb drive and am currently playing them on a cheap Samsung H1080 dvd/universal player which has a USB 2.0 port. Thus, there is no need for CD's and DVD's. The samsung player cannot read wav, mkv and flac files, of which are critical to my audio playback as I have a lot of downloaded files "sitting around".

An Oppo-BDP83 would be a good choice but I don't need to use it's inbuilt CD player.

Any other recommendations? Thanks !

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2010, 20:20 
Editor

I love my Oppo BDP83. However, the USB input is limited to 4GB usb sticks. Although you can stream to the player via a computer.
Cheers

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 07:33 

The Malaysian newspapers today featured 10 different media players, all of which do not have a CD player ! How lucky !These allow you to transfer media from your PC via a USB/ethernet network and output the media on a TV. Most include a HDMI and composite video/audio out. Although not audiophile grade, these can be quite handy if you are an avid internet media downloader.

Some of the brands/models :

1. Western Digital WDTV Live US$124
2.Seagate Freeagent Theatre+Player US$124
3. AC Ryan Playon! HD Mini Player $US130
4. Dvico Tvix N1 US$168
5. K-World M200 Full HD Player US$90
6. Mede8er MED500X HD Player US$171
7. eGear Miveo MD-701 Pro
8. Clamul Moviebox US$115
9. Hornettek Phantom US115
10. D-Link DSM-350 US$45

These players can play full HD including the following video files :
mkv, avi, divx, xvid, FLV, TS, MOV

Audio files: flac, mp3, wav, wma, aac

Pretty impressive but they can never replace a good ol CD/vinyl player.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 12:00 
Editor

I was looking at the WDTV about a year ago. I borrowed one and it did not play flac files at that time so I passed it by. It was a real solid video player especially for the price. I see now that flac support has been added. Any idea if it will play high resolution flac tracks (24 bit / 96kHz)?
Cheers

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 12:35 

Hi gio,

The only player in the list that supports 24bit 96kHz flac is the Mede8er MED500X HD Player.
Taken from a Malaysian reseller : http://www.boxbuilder.com.my/MED500X.asp

Most of the other players can play flac but I believe you need to download the latest firmware for it to work. That is done by connecting the device to the internet via your router.

Most of the larger sized models come with an internal cooling fan which have been reported to be noisy. The AC Ryan Playon! HD Mini Player comes with an internal heatsink to cool the chip passively. No fans here.

For a taste of how these devices sound, I will try out the cheapest of the lot (D-Link DSM-350) which has 90% of the caabilities of the other players. One drawback is that the max video resolution is 780P which others are 1080P.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 05:40 

Finally upgraded from a cheap DVD player to a Mede8er (pronounced Mediator). Managed to play FLAC, MKV .264 and Blueray ripped files smoothly. Fan is essentially inaudible even with my ears next to the player. Locally ordered and received the unit within 20hours of ordering.

Video quality is very much improved even though I am using a standard CRT TV. You still need a large 1080P Full HD screen to reap the most improvements.
Sound quality is a step up from the DVD player(Samsung H1080), being clearer and a bit more dynamic. The set is also less noisy. Volume can be digitally controlled from the remote control.

So far it is very convenient. No more getting up from the listening seat to put in CD/USB drives.
All I do is transfer files from my PC wirelessly to the internal 3.5'' 1.5TB Hard drive of the player, Pick remote up, hit play and adjust volume. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 12:33 
Editor

Will the Mede8er player play high resolution FLAC files (24 bit 88kHz+)?
Cheers

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 03:42 

Hi Gio,

It states that it can play up to 24bit 90Khz FLAC. The files I've downloaded are standard resolution FLAC and it plays them beautifully. How am I to return to standard CD's now? FLAC ROCKS.
WIll try the 24/90Khz FLAC's and see if they do play or not.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 15:33 

I know that it doesnt play video files, but the logitech squeezebox is nothing but brilliant, it has analogue and digital audio out and it streams your media across your wired/wireless network, which requires to run a program (slimserver) on a computer/server. you can control it from the web interface or the infrared remote. It can handle 24bit 92Hhz FLAC files along with the usual MP3's etc.

Personally I love it, the VU meter screen saver is pretty funky to watch when you are listening to music in the dark :P

Lewis

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 04:33 

Gio wrote:
Will the Mede8er player play high resolution FLAC files (24 bit 88kHz+)?

I don't know if the files are 24/88Khz.

I used winamp to rip an audio CD into FLAC at the highest quality. Each file is 30mB for a 4 minute song and data rate is 900kB/s. No idea if it is 24bit/88kHz.

I then played them on my Mede8er and had no problems. Dynamic and clear sound.