DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Nov 2019, 11:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2013, 11:11 

Hello all

This is my first post. I hope to get feedback on my planned audio cabinet.

I have a decent amount of graduate level work and 12 years experience working on damping materials and baffles, but not any experience with what I should or should not do for home audio.

If you help me figure out what I need, I can make it.

This is the project I am contemplating:

I am building a rack (or a few) in a low cabinet to go under my wall hung tv. I plan on putting the cabinet on wheels and using a diy "z" bar for cables to the wall. The back of the cabinet will have a cavity for all of the cables so that the shell of the cabinet will rest against the wall (possibly with a gasket to reduce vibration noise). My center speaker will sit on top of the cabinet and possibly my right and left (if I upgrade to a 9.2 surround). If I don't upgrade, the r/l speakers will sit on their stands. I will have 2 Elan S6 whole house amps, a power conditioner, a system controller, and possibly my AVR in one rack (left side). In the middle I planned on a slide out shelf with a record player on it and possibly a vintage audio receiver/amp (not a rack). The record player and vintage amp are dated probably from the early 70's. I am also contemplating putting them on a shock mounted granite shelf and adding a lid to the cabinet. In that case the speakers may have to move to a shelf on the wall. On the right side, my HTPC, blueray, cable box, cd player, etc would reside. The right side may or may not be rack mounted, it may be just shelves.

So, here comes my questions. What type of vibration suppression would you recommend and where to use it?

Options I am considering:

Build my left side rack, then shock mount it to the cabinet.
Build the left rack into the cabinet (easier).
Leave the turntable on a drawer slide.
Put the vintage turntable and amp on a heavy shelf (granite, lead shot, concrete, or something else) then shock mount the shelf with a flip open lid on cabinet.
Shock mount speakers on cabinet or mount them to the wall.
Build a right side rack, shock mounted or do individual shelves (shock mounted or not?).

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2013, 10:36 
Editor

Hi and welcome to the forum.

IMO - For an audio rack design, the primary functions are accessibility of and ventilation around the electronics. Damping can also be important, dependent on the floor system. For a suspended wood floor, damping and vibration control will be more important than for carpet over a concrete floor. Damping and vibration isolation is typically beneficial for turntables so effort in that area can pay off. The best way to isolate the turntable from the floor and the rack electronics may be a turntable wall mount (to the wall).

Cheers

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2013, 14:37 
Project Author

Hi, I agree with Gio on the wall mount for the TT. That is provided the wall is solid and not prone to resonating. I have mine mounted on an exterior brick wall that pretty much guarantees that nothing from the rest of the system will disturb them. Also the TT ought to be a goodly distance from any speaker as the actual sound waves can cause issues. I agree that heat is a major concern with audio gear. Much of the newer stuff uses class T amps and they run a lot cooler than all others. Still with the amount of gear you mention I would have some concerns. My experience is that it will not be necessary to put damping material between the cabinet and the wall. A small separation of as little as an inch ought to be sufficient. I suggest in any case that the speakers not be mounted on or attached to the cabinet. You can never tell what equipment will either be microphonic or have some type of internal resonance that will interfere with the sound. Something else to consider is to keep some separation of the power cables from the signal ones. Especially one that are low signal level (like the ones from the TT). Bunching things up can introduce noise and hum. Separation of a few inches is generally enough to eliminate it or at least make lower than the existing noise floor of the system.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2013, 15:34 

Thanks guys. The wall behind my equipment would not make a good mount. It is a 12ft tall stick framed wall. I imagine it would amplify any vibrations in the room. What I am considering is only placing my center speaker on my cabinet. The turntable would play through my sterio speakers that I will leave on stands. I will use simpler shock mounts for the TT since most of my vibration will be isolated when I actually am using the TT. I am not sure if I will use the vintage amp at this point.

What do you think?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 20:01 
Editor

With that operation mode in mind the TT should be fine with the center channel off.

Cheers

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 20:04 

Is there a good way to share a set of speakers between two amplifiers? Can a pair of double pole double throw switches work?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 08:57 
Editor

Sorry for the late reply.

Or you can use a speaker selector switch box, but wired so it is an amplifier select box.

Cheers