DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 07 Apr 2020, 12:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 09:09 
Banned

sampleaccurate wrote:
I ALWAYS use ear protection when I play.

Hi Stephen.

Good luck with the 110dB 'noisy' environment you are working in. Make sure yr ears protection really WORKS !

This "drastic" method I am using since day one to eliminate 100% stylus/groove contact friciton which causes statics is a 'layman' way of playing vinyls which many many vinyl fans refuse to do & condemn badly. BUT, but it works biggtime for me since I started to play vinyls, new & recyled yewrs back.

Try the methods I suggested earlier before you really need to take up this "drastic" way of mine.

c-J

PS: Yr first name spells English instead of American way (Steven). Are you from the U.K..?

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 21:02 

cheapjack wrote:
I go for yr first statement. TT plinth should be wood.
But the image you posted shows yr TT plinth is built of 3 marble like stone slats???

You missed it... My plinth is two layers of slate and one of limestone, they have very different properties than marble or granite

I was warning you that marble or granite "may" not (in my eyes will most definitely not) give positive results in turntable plinth. You will be far happier with plywood.

Marble and granite are crystalline, slate and limestone are sedimentary. One dampens vibration :mrgreen: , and one sends it right through like a telephone line :bawling: :bawling: . You want you plinth to dampen out the vibrations from the drive system and bearing and to not impart them into the tonearm or record. :up:
Ed

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 21:17 

There are many ideas on the web to build you own record cleaning machine from a small shop vac or old vacuum.
I use one I made for less that 20 bucks from a throw away vacuum and a junk cheap turntable. I buy 95% used vinyl from used record shops. I give it really good cleaning and most sounds as good as my purchased new records. The better the play back system, the better they sound.
There is no need to play them on cheep cartridges if you are selective when buying and diligent about cleaning.
I will find some links about DIY record cleaners and post if you are interested.
Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 09:19 
Banned

Mr Ed wrote:
marble or granite "may" not (in my eyes will most definitely not) give positive results in turntable plinth. You will be far happier with plywood.

Hi Ed.

Why? What give you the slightest idea I am using marble or granite slats for my TT plinth? Never I want to use crystalline stones to support any motor drives, e.g. TT, tape deck & CD/DVD players. In fact, my Thorens 125II still sits on its original stock wooden splinth since day one. You're right - I am very happy with it.

As already posted here, my Thorens TT is floated on 1/2" plywood via 4 acoustically tuned copper tip toes right at the dead metal centre of its 4 rubber legs The plywood is again 'floated' on 2 massy hollow concrete blocks (totally 100 lbs so so).via 4 rubber round supports. The 2 concrete blocks are then each 'floated' on the wall-to-wall carpetted concrete floor of my basement audio den via 3-in-a-set steel spikes.

This DIY composite mass+3 layer-isolation plaftform should kill any vibration coming up from underneath the TT. The beauty is it cost me next to nothing as the hollow concrete blocks were
taken free from a neightbourhood building site.

This 100lb plus dedicated platform for my TT is 100% isolated from my hardwood audio rack. The last thing I would do is to seat my TT on my audio rack housing other audio equipment.

This is why I ask you how heavy is yr TT plinth as I got the impression, (correct me if I were wrong)
that yr TT plinth is pretty heavy (50lbs) vs the wooden audio rack which supports yr TT.

Tell me more about yr audio rack which also acts as support platsform of yr TT. Surely you are not alone, so many many vinyl fans place their TT on top of their audio rack. For convenience, needless to say. I would NOT do so as it is acoustically unsound.

c-J

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 09:22 
Banned

Mr Ed wrote:
will find some links about DIY record cleaners and post if you are interested.

HI Ed.

Please post me, particularly the DIY vacuum record cleaner. Thanks.

c-J

Post subject: DIY Record / LP Cleaner
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 18:34 

Here are two of the least complicated and cheapest to make, I have a variation on these just because I was determined to use almost 1005 stuff I had on hand, I only bought the junk turntable, felt, switch, and one pvc part. My total; investment was under 20 us dollars. I also make my own cleaning fluid from 99% pure alcohol,research lab grade pure water, and Triton X.
Enjoy, and if you make one, post here so we can see!
Ed

http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/recordcleaner.htm

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 10:58 
Banned

Mr Ed wrote:

Hi Ed.

If I am going to build a record cleaner, I would go for this Thanks.

I still prefer distilled water with no chemicals additives. Pure water leaves nothing inside the grooves.

Mr Ed wrote:
Marble and granite are crystalline, slate and limestone are sedimentary. One dampens vibration , and one sends it right through like a telephone line

My tube power amp is 'floated' on a massy 3" thick grey granite block via 3-in-a-set strong carpet guards. Again mass+2-layer isolation for my power amp. For no-drive component, massy granite should be OK.

But for drives, like CD/DVD & tape decks, I always place them on wood boards via 3-in-a-set tip toes or steel spikes.

All my components are 'floated' on their support via tip toes or steel spikes. I would not allow them to sit direct on its support platform. Sonically, they all sound better being 'floated' over its support.

c-J

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 09:26 

sampleaccurate wrote:
I ALWAYS use ear protection when I play.

cheap-Jack wrote:
Good luck with the 110dB 'noisy' environment you are working in. Make sure yr ears protection really WORKS !

This "drastic" method I am using since day one to eliminate 100% stylus/groove contact friciton which causes statics is a 'layman' way of playing vinyls which many many vinyl fans refuse to do & condemn badly. BUT, but it works biggtime for me since I started to play vinyls, new & recyled yewrs back.

Try the methods I suggested earlier before you really need to take up this "drastic" way of mine.

PS: Yr first name spells English instead of American way (Steven). Are you from the U.K..?

"Stephen" is the Biblical spelling and is still very common in the US. I'm not from the U.K. - all American.

I got my new TT and vinyl and RIAA preamp and hooked it all up and listened over the last few days. It’s been a long time since I heard an LP on a decent TT.
I'm ready for the "drastic" method. The surface noise is intolerable. It can’t be scratches in the grooves of the records because every single one sounds the same. I think it may be static electricity.

Some of the records I bought sound pretty good if you ignore the noise. There is definitely a difference between CDs and vinyl, and in some cases I would prefer the vinyl if I could get rid of the constant “crackling” that’s always present.

I have another TT on the way that will accept a better cartridge, so I’ll have two TTs each with a new stylus or cartridge to compare.
Another problem is RUMBLE. And it’s NOT the TT or an isolation problem. It’s the records in some cases. Some of the records are warped and surface imperfections can be observed with the naked eye. The rumble on a couple of albums effectively destroys the bass – you might as well just turn off any subwoofer since all I’m getting is noise below 100Hz on these albums. On others the bass is clear and there is minimal rumble.

A lot of these were pressed in the late 70’s or early 80’s when, IMO, the quality of vinyl albums hit an all time low. Most are popular mass produced albums that were probably made with mothers that were overused to keep up with demand and cut costs.

I’m at a dead end with the surface noise. HELP! I’ll try anything at this point.
What’s that “drastic method” c-J?

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 11:48 
Banned

sampleaccurate wrote:
Another problem is RUMBLE. And it’s NOT the TT or an isolation problem. It’s the records in some cases

Hi Stephen.

EZ. Ez...

If the vinyls come in warped, it yr bad luck. Throw them out as one can't do nothing to fix it.

Odd to say, I never encounter such "rumber' problem even with some of my 50-year old recyled LPs.

FYI, I love pipe organ music. One recording by the orgian wizard: Andrew Davies in his live performance LP:- "Andrew Davis plays the organ at Roy Thomson Hall", there is an innnermost soundtrack which delivers 25Hz subsonic pedal bass.
I was virtually stunted when I played this soundtrack the first time - the bass virtually shook up the whole place !!!!!! Pure solid bass sweeps across the entrire soundstage via my 100W 10" powered subwoofer. Wow .....

I then started to realize what is true bass - bass from acoustic pipe organs. Not boomy 'bass' from electric guitars/key boards.

IME, make sure you use belt-driven TT, supported by an effective anti-LF-vibration platform. My dedictated TT plaftorm, weighing over 100LBs with 3-layer isoation helps to reproduce subsonic LF faithfully
sampleaccurate wrote:
I’m at a dead end with the surface noise. HELP!

No sweats, bud.

Try to do what I am doing since day one I started vinyls years back. It works for old old recyled let alone new presses. This is a 'stupid' way to play any vinyls per many many vinly fans. So to prevent this thread starts mud slinging & finger pointing, email me so that I can tell you privately.

c-J

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 16:42 

cheap-Jack wrote:
sampleaccurate wrote:
Another problem is RUMBLE. And it’s NOT the TT or an isolation problem. It’s the records in some cases

If the vinyls come in warped, it yr bad luck. Throw them out as one can't do nothing to fix it.

Odd to say, I never encounter such "rumber' problem even with some of my 50-year old recyled LPs.

FYI, I love pipe organ music. One recording by the orgian wizard: Andrew Davies in his live performance LP:- "Andrew Davis plays the organ at Roy Thomson Hall", there is an innnermost soundtrack which delivers 25Hz subsonic pedal bass.
I was virtually stunted when I played this soundtrack the first time - the bass virtually shook up the whole place !!!!!! Pure solid bass sweeps across the entrire soundstage via my 100W 10" powered subwoofer. Wow .....

I then started to realize what is true bass - bass from acoustic pipe organs. Not boomy 'bass' from electric guitars/key boards.

IME, make sure you use belt-driven TT, supported by an effective anti-LF-vibration platform. My dedictated TT plaftorm, weighing over 100LBs with 3-layer isoation helps to reproduce subsonic LF faithfully
sampleaccurate wrote:
I’m at a dead end with the surface noise. HELP!

Try to do what I am doing since day one I started vinyls years back. It works for old old recyled let alone new presses. This is a 'stupid' way to play any vinyls per many many vinly fans. So to prevent this thread starts mud slinging & finger pointing, email me so that I can tell you privately.

I have a "sampler" SACD with a variety of cuts to demonstrate the capability of the format, and one is pipe organ. The bass is awesome. I love deep bass. I use an 18" subwoofer in a large cabinet with a 1000 watt MOSFET amp driving it (the amp is way over rated so it will never clip - I just need to be careful I don't burn up the speaker). I agree, the bass in a pipe organ is REAL BASS! I can shake my house when the lowest notes are played! Some of it is felt more than heard.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next