DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 07 Apr 2020, 12:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 10:40 
Banned

eponies57 wrote:
Technics SL-120 , a SP-10 Mk1 ,Techncis SP-15

HI.
All these 3 TTs are direct-driven. You like the direct driving sound??

Sorry, I don't like. Many audiophiles don't like direct driven TT sound either.

I still love belt driven TT sound. More airy, & more musical. Least electronical.

c-J

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 12:43 
Banned

sampleaccurate wrote:
The more massive an object is the harder it is to move, and vibration is a form of movement. It would take a lot of energy to induce enough vibration in a massive slab

Hi.

I agree. I have done it using the same mass+isolation concept to support my TT.

This mass+isoalation TT idea runs coincidently in line with the USD74,500 Rockport Technologies System III Sirius turntable. A massy air-floating monster TT weighs 550LBs!!!!! It comprises a 62lbs 303 stainless steel platter + 185LB lead loaded epoxy molded composite plinth, which is then supported by its integral platform which also housed the air handling gears. So the platform should weight around 300lbs itself.

Of course I am not that crazy to get anything remotely close let alone the incredible cost.

I did it virtually cost me next to nothing. Very simple DIY grade materials.

My TT (Thorens 125II) with its stock wooden plinth alone weighs around 30lbs more or less. It is 'floated" on a 1/2" plywood board (no MFD please) via 4 acoustically tuned copper tip-toes right at its 4 feet. The plywood board is then 'floated' on 2 hollow concrete blocks via 4 rubber round supports. The 100LB massy concrete blocks are then each 'floated' on the wall-to-wall carpetted concrete floor via 3-in-a-set steel spikes.

So mass+3 floating layers to kill any vibration from underneath the TT. The heavy spring suspended zinc die-cast TT chassis/platter should handle air-borne vibration efficiently.

This DIY composite TT platform does not look that appealing, but it works even for 25Hz pipe organ music via my 100W 10" powered subwoofer !!!

c-J

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 14:36 

sampleaccurate wrote:
The more massive an object is the harder it is to move, and vibration is a form of movement. It would take a lot of energy to induce enough vibration in a massive slab

cheap-Jack wrote:
I agree. I have done it using the same mass+isolation concept to support my TT.

This mass+isoalation TT idea runs coincidently in line with the USD74,500 Rockport Technologies System III Sirius turntable. A massy air-floating monster TT weighs 550LBs!!!!! It comprises a 62lbs 303 stainless steel platter + 185LB lead loaded epoxy molded composite plinth, which is then supported by its integral platform which also housed the air handling gears. So the platform should weight around 300lbs itself.

Of course I am not that crazy to get anything remotely close let alone the incredible cost.

I did it virtually cost me next to nothing. Very simple DIY grade materials.

My TT (Thorens 125II) with its stock wooden plinth alone weighs around 30lbs more or less. It is 'floated" on a 1/2" plywood board (no MFD please) via 4 acoustically tuned copper tip-toes right at its 4 feet. The plywood board is then 'floated' on 2 hollow concrete blocks via 4 rubber round supports. The 100LB massy concrete blocks are then each 'floated' on the wall-to-wall carpetted concrete floor via 3-in-a-set steel spikes.

So mass+3 floating layers to kill any vibration from underneath the TT. The heavy spring suspended zinc die-cast TT chassis/platter should handle air-borne vibration efficiently.

This DIY composite TT platform does not look that appealing, but it works even for 25Hz pipe organ music via my 100W 10" powered subwoofer !!!

Sounds like a pretty good setup. I use a glass of water to test different isolation methods. Crank up some music with powerful bass and see how big the waves get. Simple but effective.

My new TT and preamp came, and my cartridge is on the way, as well as a lot of LPs I bought on ebay. I'll be "reevaluating" vinyl as a sound source in the coming weeks. Hopefully my cartridge is capable of reproducing the albums faithfully. I admit I'm skeptical, but my mind is open and I'll give vinyl another chance after a 20 year hiatus from a quality TT and cartridge.

One substance I've found that works extremely well is fiber fill material that's used to fill pillows and stuffed toys. Just a couple of inches (compressed under the weight of the TT) will provide very effective vibration isolation, and it's extremely cheap and lightweight. You can get it at any cloth store or Wal-Mart.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 15:22 
Banned

sampleaccurate wrote:
a lot of LPs I bought on ebay.
Hopefully my cartridge is capable of reproducing the albums faithfully.
I'll give vinyl another chance after a 20 year hiatus from a quality TT and cartridge.

Hi.

Caution:
(1) recycled vinyls NEED proper treatment/handling to get it sound right.

(2) recycled vinyls may not be best for very he-end tiny stylus to track. My 50 years young vinyls sound horrible with my audiophile friend expensive MC cartridge but sound fine with my cheapie cartridge.

Better test yr new tracking gears with brandname LPs before trying old vinyls. Otherwise you may be disappointed.

c-J

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 11:04 

cheap-Jack wrote:
Caution:
(1) recycled vinyls NEED proper treatment/handling to get it sound right.

(2) recycled vinyls may not be best for very he-end tiny stylus to track. My 50 years young vinyls sound horrible with my audiophile friend expensive MC cartridge but sound fine with my cheapie cartridge.

Better test yr new tracking gears with brandname LPs before trying old vinyls. Otherwise you may be disappointed.

The oldest LP I bought is from the 70's and probably pressed in the 80's. I purchased a wide variety of used and new albums. I'm not judging the sound based on one album. What I really need is a test LP but they are hard to find. I have a test CD I can use to test systems and my ears but no test LP. I also have to correctly adjust the tracking weight, alignment, azimuth, anti-skate, etc. if I want to get the best sound. No stone will be left unturned. :cop:

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 11:08 

Back in the 70s and 80s there was a wide variety of liquids and sprays that supposedly helped clean and preserve vinyl LPs and made them last longer. Does anybody use anything to clean or condition their vinly albums, and if so, what?

Should I wipe down my used LPs to remove finger prints and dust (and what to use?) or just leave them alone???

:confused:

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 12:01 
Banned

sampleaccurate wrote:
Does anybody use anything to clean or condition their vinly albums, and if so, what?

Hi.

I do the sorta 'laymen'' way to clean any recycled LPs I just picked from thrift stores BEFORE I playing them:-
rinse it thoroughly with distilled water & hang them drip dry. No chemical added as any alien stuff will end up residing inside the vinyl grooves, IMO. No good.

sampleaccurate wrote:
Should I wipe down my used LPs to remove finger prints and dust

Yes, if yr room is open space type with widows/doors opening up, a dust brush is need to remove the dust blown in from wherever.

But this is only the fore-play, what we should be cautious is to make sure no statics will be generated during the stylus tracking the vinyl grooves. But the cartridge stylus is bound to hit the groove sides & friction is inevitable between the stylus tip & the groove sides. So how we can kill the statics generated by such contact friction???

Let me listen to our LP expects' advice.

c-J

PS: distilled water can be bought in bulk plastic drum cheaply in grocery stores..

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 13:38 

Thanks for the tips. Sounds reasonable to me - the distilled water - that's how I clean CDs and I even used it on albums way back when if something got on them that was water soluble.

I live in the desert (Las Vegas, Nevada). The humidity is in the single digits and there's always static electricity everywhere.

How do I deal with that? I guess I could humidify the room. Any other ideas?

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 14:07 
Banned

sampleaccurate wrote:
I guess I could humidify the room.

Hi.

So you live in the 'Sin City'. Yes, you should add a humidifier in your listening room.

Make sure you always moist up the LP surface before you play EVERY time with distilled water.

If the above fore-play is not good enough to reduce statics on yr LPs, then you have to try the
drastic method I am using for my LPs.

Try it first.

c-J
PS: BTW, what is yr first name? Bud.
We had our annual business gala in Vegas last May for the first time. Not that hot hot yet
daytime. At nite, the traffic along the golden mile was a disaster. It took my coach a hour to get thru.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 14:25 

I think I'll definitely go with a humidifier. I had one but it broke from the hard water here - time for a new one. They don't last long with all the calcium in the water from the Colorado River.

If you make it back to Vegas this May check out our band, ZENITH. We should be booked on Fremont Street (the main drag downtown) on Saturday nights. We played our first show last weekend and it was a huge success. That's why I haven't finished my amps yet.

http://www.zenithband.com

I'm the drummer / "sound guru" for the band. We use a lot of technology and a computer based sound processing system to create near studio quality sound in a live show. And, I ALWAYS use ear protection when I play.

And what does the "drastic method" of solving the static problem entail?

Stephen

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next