DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Sep 2019, 13:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 18:12 

With reference to an earlier thread, I was wondering if it would be possible to use a different transport other than that used as the original item? Assuming you could physically fit the alternative unit so that it operated mechanically the same, would the servo board/control be compatible?
I'm having to think a bit laterally for a solution to my dying laser pick up.
I'm thinking in general terms here, but specifically my Pioneer PD-71/PD-9300.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 10:34 
Editor

Yes, provided that it is compatible with the controller board you can. They may have used a common transport so you may even to be able to find a replacement unit.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 13:58 

The part number for the main board is PWZ1546 from the service manual, but a google search brings nothing up. Is there a way to find out more about the compatibility?

I'll try an email to Pioneer, but won't expect much....

I'm really not wanting to be thinking about selling this player, but it may come to it. :worried:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 10:47 
Editor

When checking CD players for transports and DACs, I use this list: http://www.vasiltech.nm.ru/files/cd-pla ... nsport.htm

From the list,
PIONEER PD-71 PWY1006 - Magnetic
PIONEER PD-9300 PWY1006 - Magnetic

It is not used in many models and searching seems to indicate it will not be an easy or cheap find. Sorry I can't help more.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 11:40 

The Pioneer is now in the repair shop for testing. Hopefully it can be sorted out, or it will be a case of stripping the player for spares. :worried:

I really hate this consumer driven throw away mentality which seems to preclude the need or desire to repair your equipment. What has happened to quality? Even so called 'high end' kit is these days contains a fair amount of integrated circuitry and surface mount components. A bit of a sheep in wolfs clothing situation, sound quality aside. :soapbox:

Anyway rant over, I'll update on the situation later, it may be of help to someone.