DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Jun 2019, 04:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 11:24 
Editor

Hi guys, got a Behringer SRC2496 DAC / ADC and just hooked it up to my computer to give it a listen before I plug it into the stereo system.

I am getting the signal from the SPDIF (coax) of an on-motherboard (OMB) soundcard. However I notice that the digital output from the soundcard is fixed at 48kHz regardless if I play a 44.1kHz file or 96kHz file. Does anyone know if this is a software seting or is it a hardware / soundcard limitation? Any help is appreciated as I am a novice when it comes to digital sources.

Computer consists of Windows XP, onboard sound (Realtek HD), player is Winamp or Foobar. Long-term it will be used as a DAC from a CDP and Squeezebox but for now I'd like to figure out the computer end.
Cheers

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 13:02 

Hi Gio,

It's not a hardware issue, your spdif is capable of 44.1/48/96/192, (depending on which one you have...), it's software related!!

Can you tell me exactly which realtek hd you have, ie.: ALC888/ALC880 etc and also the version of drivers you are currently using.

From that info i should be able to point you in the right direction..... :wizard:

Dave.

P.S. It is not good to have the sound converted from it's native bit-rate to another, especially on the fly, degrades the sound output so getting your spdif to output in its source bitrate is our goal, then we'll get into bit-perfect playback etc........are you ready........get set........clik:file....:preferences....:open control panel.....:etc etc etc... :ugeek:

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 19:24 
Editor

Hi Dave, from the MB manual: Realtek ACL1200
The driver version is 5.10.0.5667
Thanks!

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009, 16:17 
Project Author

Maybe it is time to upgrade to a cheap sound blaster Live! card, they are the easiest ones to find drivers for and you can get them for about 10 bucks at a used computer parts store.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009, 18:07 
Editor

Hi Alan, the original plan was to use a squeeze box as a digital source. However it will not play 24bit/96kHz files! :x For the time being I won't get a soundcard unless I decide to go to a dedicated Home Theatre PC with passive cooling.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 15:34 

Gio,

From what i can tell, you have the latest drivers, I am not familiar with that particular on-board card so i'm afraid i'm not much use!! You could try using kernal streamer or ASIO drivers, you will also have to D/L the corresponding plug-in for foobar or whichever player you are using, for foobar, just unzip the plugin to your (foobar installation folder)-->components, when you restart foobar and go to FILE-->PREFERENCES-->PLAYBACK-->OUTPUT you can then choose ASIO as your output device.

If you then start the ASIO off-line settings application, (installed with ASIO), you should be able to configure the (advanced) settings - it is quite difficult for me to explain this, if i was sitting at your PC i would have done all this in less time than it took to write this post!!

Once you have got this far, let me know if you get stuck and i'll try to advise further... :up:

Foobar plugin for ASIO:

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 20:54 
Editor

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl, but I won't get my hopes up seeing that it is on-board sound.
Cheers

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 14:16 
Editor

I found the problem and it was software. The output device was set to output 48kHz. The card can output 44.1 to 192kHz. So problem solved.

However, it seems that the output is fixed. If I set the digital output to 96kHz and play a 44.1kHz file, the output is 96kHz. So for best performance should I be manually changing the output to match that of the file being played?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 15:30 

mmmmm, as i said, i am not familiar with that particular sound device, but from what i remember from other similiar, (could be wrong), you could set the output to 'AUTO', the sound device would then output at the native rate rather than convert... i think it was somwhere in the realtek hd sound manager (or whatever it's called now...??) sorry i couldn't be more help!! :blush:

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 19:05 
Editor

Unfortunately there is no auto setting. You have to pick one of 44.1 / 48 / 96 / 192 kHz. I won't complain, as it is an onboard sound card.
Thanks for helping.
Cheers