DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 30 May 2020, 14:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 May 2020, 22:19 
Project Author

The title is self explanatory and since I have not been on this forum in a couple years at least but always wanted to build one it sort of dropped off my radar for a number of reasons.

The main reason I am inquiring by making a "recent" post about it is because one I want to know if anyone is around still making batches of LDR's I am ready to outright purchase upon availability since I am a little more organized now financially then when I was first planning on buying some. But any resources I seem to find upon brief search about the project are "old" or not active.

And two if no one is matching new batches or has any, I was wondering if I do a large buy myself and learn how to match them would anyone be interested in purchasing left over sets. Digikey has them for $43.39 for 10 which is pricey when you need about 25 to get enough good matches. All I care about is at least one or two sets (depending on how lucky I get) then make back a portion of the expense by selling off any sets left over to people who are still interested in building one of these units.

I want to install one of these into a preamp I have been working on for multiple years now until I actually finalized a design and made a set of boards. The project is now mostly there and have been listening, testing, debugging and plan on releasing the design for people to use when satisfied with it. But for the volume control I looked at lots of options, really good pots are expensive and the attenuator I was going to build and use ended up too tight of a fit for comfort after assembling everything (go figures lol).

I wanted to keep this short but not be vague anyways here we are. I look forward to hearing input from anyone who is interested or can steer me to something I missed about the LDR attenuator project and have missed this particular forum and still consider it to be one of the nicer ones around!

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 10:35 
Editor

Hi, welcome back! I've actually got a build on the go right now. Just waiting in the pot to arrive. The PCB and LDRs I have had for some 10 years now. This will be the 3rd one I built I've done now, the other two are long gone and when I came across the parts in a box, I figure I'd make one to keep for myself.

PostPosted: 30 May 2020, 11:01 
Project Author

Hello Gio! I thought you would have had more of these put together by now but I am just as guilty of throwing parts for a project in a box and leaving/forgetting about it for a long period of time lol

Do you by any chance know of anyone here on the forum still matching/selling batches of the LDR's? Or know a little more detail about how to go about matching them if I order 20-30 of them? I was reading in one of the threads about it and it looks like a set up is required where you need to have about a dozen or more on a test board and individually adjust and measure each LDR and graph the results to find the closest match. An expensive investment both money and time wise!